Hail to the Thief review by Radiohead

• Released: May 26, 2003
Radiohead: Hail to the Thief

In my opinion, the reason Radiohead isn't on the forefront of modern music is because they are too smart, intelligent and artistic for most people nowadays. I know some people are critical of the experimentation, they are entititled to their own opinion, but I think that if they listen with an open mind, they will really catch on the true genius of the album. It's amazing how the instrumentation really adds on the effect of the song, thats something that hardly any other bands do and I would kill to have that ability in my music. For example, in Like Spinning Plates, the overlapping whooshing effects really create an uncontrolled panic when I listen to it, which really adds on to the lyrics and how to me they're about the fragile and dangerous condition the world is in today. Really cool. Also in Pyramid Song (which is by the way the most beautiful song ever put on paper), the slow egyptian sounding piano creates a mystical feeling, and really makes you feel like you're "going to heaven on a little row boat". Amazing ability that they have.

As usual with every Radiohead CD, absolutely outstanding lyrics. They're so wonderfully vague at times (you and whose army, like sardines, knives out, the list could go on) you can think of a million ways the lyrics can apply, which is so cool because it really allows you to think about the music, instead of just listen to it.

Overall, the reason amnesiac sounds like kid a is because they were recorded at the same time. Highlights for me are pyramid song, like spinning plates, I might be wrong, among others. I could go on and on about the music and how damn good it is, but it is late and I'm kind of tired so I think I might go to bed and listen to amnesiac instead of talking about it.