Hail to the Thief review by Radiohead

• Released: May 26, 2003
Radiohead: Hail to the Thief

After buying all of radioheads albums, I can soundly say that this is the best. this album just oozes quality, and is definitely one of the defining moments of the noughties. once Thom screams "You have not been paying attention!" in 2+2=5, the albums' awesome opener, you know that you are listening to something big. this album has the innovativeness of Kid A, the awesome guitar of the bends, the sweet lyrical melodies of Amnesiac, and the production of OK computer rolled up into one package, but it is more than that, radioheads strongest album to date. "Sit Down Stand Up" has the best build up ever in a song, go to sleep's drunken outro will keep your fingers clicking, there there's groove is immense, and myxamatosis is a hilarious idea for a song. what a cracker.

Thom Yorke remains the ultimate enigma, whos lyrics can be perceived as pure weirdness, extremely deep and emotional, or about life and the world in general. I believe that this album contains all of the above. I believe thom shines the most in the opener, the fabulous 2+2=5. he croons the first minute and a half, almost luring you into a false sense of security, then catches you off guard and continues the off the wall groove of the song. His lyrics are as strange as ever, and even though the vocal effects have been toned down from Kid A, he remains as odd and as amazing a vocalist as ever.

This album is, in my opinion, one of the best of the last 20 years. Now that all the hype has settled, we can truly see Radiohead's grand vision.

jahyarain
    Kid A will always be my favorite but, naturally, there's not a bad song on HTTT. if you really want to get into their best music, it's all about the b-sides. what can one expect from the most talented band on the planet? and what's a coldplay?
    justabody
    Hail to the Thief was a great album, but many songs on this album are blown away by the songs on the "Go to Sleep Eps". Fog (Again) and I Am Citizen Insane are songs that should have made it on to Hail to the Thief or earlyer albums. And the song Gagging Order is so well writen that its amazing that it isnt one of Radioheads hit songs. Gagging Order brings up so many emotions that its even past a song, its something much better. What im saying is that if you love Radiohead, explore some of the Ep's. some of the songs will blow you away i give Hail to the Thief a 9/10
    GoToSleep
    Coldplay is nowhere near as good as Radiohead, but why are we talking about Coldplay? Great album, probably still behind Kid A and OKC. Better than In Rainbows though.
    Root Beer
    wingedgopher wrote: am i the only one who was scared half to death by wolf at the door?
    Dookie92
    KoniaX
    If you take out Backdrifts, We Suck Young Blood and Scatterbrain...
    If you don't like those songs, especially Backdrifts, then there is nothing that can be done for you.
    Abanazar
    If you take out Backdrifts, We Suck Young Blood and Scatterbrain then you have the most concise, explosive and goddamn brilliant Radiohead album out of them all.
    voodoochild23
    Root Beer You believe In Rainbows is their 2nd worst album? Anyway, it isn't about who's more "musically ingenious", its about who's music sounds better, to you. Who you enjoy listening to more. Obviously no one can answer that for anyone else, so there's the dead end. Hopefully people can just talk about this album in here, rather than 'radiohead vs coldplay'. Root Beer, you generally a bit of a twat. You can continue judging the quality of music based on how impressive the names of the chords are.
    organeyes11
    Root Beer
    A few comments I thought were interesting:
    Dookie92 wrote: This album is great. But I wont say it blows anything coldplay away. Coldplay are amazing.
    elmolikepie wrote: wether this album blows anything coldplay have ever done out of the water or not, i still think coldplay are the better band. yeh ther not as musicaly ingenious but thats not what its all about is it?
    There is NO logical reason to say Coldplay is better than Radiohead. Radiohead is 200x more creative than Coldplay could ever hope to be and I bet the members of Coldplay would agree. And if it's not about who's more "musically ingenious" what IS it about?..
    jahyarain wrote: what can one expect from the most talented band on the planet? and what's a coldplay?
    Hahaha
    By the way, OK Computer was a great album and all, but please please PLEASE stop giving it all this unnecessary praise. If Amnesiac got all the attention that album got, it would be a much fairer world. As for where Hail to the Thief stands, it looks something like this: 1.Kid A 2.Amnesiac 3.OK Computer 4.Hail to the Thief 5.The Bends 6.In Rainbows 7.Pablo Honey That's my list.
    FinderofNemo
    organeyes11 wrote: you sir ^ are retarded. there is no way you could think the two bands are similar in any way. radiohead is the greatest, coldplay are ok to listen to once in a while but they have nothing on radiohead. and if i might add, radiohead has never been accused of stealing or ripping off other peoples songs.
    I never said they did, you took that way out of hand. I'm only saying that Coldplay's sound is similar to Radiohead's. Radiohead is for sure better though.
    FinderofNemo
    To the few top comments, if you've listened to enough Coldplay (not just their singles) you could easily relate their sound to Radiohead's Ok Computer.
    elmolikepie