Hail to the Thief review by Radiohead

• Released: May 26, 2003
Radiohead: Hail to the Thief

In "Hail To The Thief", Radiohead, are less progressive than "Kid A" and "Amnesiac". They are experienced and immediately they give their sign. An overall music style for this album is Alternative Rock. However you can hear Rock, Electronica and some Free-Jazz songs. Electric guitars with a lot of effects, magical melodies and epic Jazz-Rock parts are the main factor of making this album exceptional. On the other hand, some parts are interesting but not very good (e.g. The experimental "Myxomatosis", that is very strange with a very alternative rythm and effects). When they use piano the songs are very slow, with Jonny Greenwood playing lower harmonics and very interesting. They use weird chords and progressive climates and that defines that they are all good musicians. The thing that stays in your mind when it ends is its melodies, its rythnms and that you want to hear it again.

The lyrics are of political style. The often imply a lot of things about the government's management of the Iraq matter. They aren't different from the previus Radiohead albums, they still have this melancholic breeze and the way Thom Yorke sings them makes them depressive. He sings very well, but sometimes goes frantic and loses control of his voice. He can give variations (e.g. he has another tone in "I Will" from "2+2=5" and different tone in "A Wolf At The Door" from "Sail To The Moon"). Infact if you haven't listen to Radiohead you can't understand that he is the singer in all of the songs.

It is one of the best Radiohead albums and the best of the 00s. The most impressive songs from the album are "2+2=5" (I like it because it changes every 40 seconds and it keeps you hanging on), "There There" (a very good chord variation and great lyrics), and "A Wolf At The Door" (which is the best of the album - ballad and here we can listen to Thom singing like he never sang before). It's one of my favorite CDs and I would pay again to listen to it.