In Rainbows review by Radiohead

• Released: Oct 10, 2007
Radiohead: In Rainbows

With all the buzz in the last few months over Radiohead's methods of distribution, I worried a little about how the album would sound. Every time I listened to it, it was hard to take in because of it's distinct differences from Radiohead's older work and also because of all the hype, no one was really talking about the music. It was only after the band's New Year's Eve "Scotch Mist" special that I really listened closely to the album. The movie was fantastic and I decided to listen to the album again. At first, songs like "Nude" and "All I Need" seemed a little long and boring. But after several listens, I was forced to reevaluate. While the faster and louder songs like "Bodysnatchers", "Reckoner", and "15 Step" don't dissapoint, the softer and more mellow "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" and "Nude" are breathtaking.

The album is full of Thom Yorke's usual cryptic lyrics that the listener never seems to understand but always connects with. Songs like "Bodysnatchers" and "Jigsaw Puzzle Falling into Place" display Yorke's strange free-form style that is reminiscient of the late-'50s/early '60s beat poets. The lyrics and music always seem to compliment each other and when Yorke's lyrics are uptight and erratic, the music follows suit. Yorke's vocal skills are still on the same level as when Radiohead released "The Bends" but anything else would be a dissapointment.

The album brings back the style that listeners are familiar with from "OK Computer" and the songs are certainly not hit single material but overall, the album is exciting and diverse. The key songs here are "Bodysnatchers", "Nude", "15 Step", and "Reckoner". And even though you can get the album on iTunes, CD, and Vynil, the 80$ box set is totally worth it. The bonus disc of outtakes and trashed songs are just as good, if not better, than the official album.

jahyarain
    BennyStruggle wrote: What is the need for 7 reviews that all rate it 9/10 or better? This is the prime example of why UG reviews are pointless. If I wanted to read 7 different 13 year olds telling me how great Radioheads new album is I'd go hang around my little brother and his friends. Thanks for a big waste of time. One review was all we needed. One review that said 9/10. k thx bye
    so, basically, you're saying your younger brother has better taste in music than u. don't worry. it happens 2 a lot of guys. oh, and best album by the best band. ever.
    2Dee
    i personally think conceptually the album is perfect, every song fits in the concept of the album, its no ok computer (but what the hell is) but it comes pretty damn close, the only thing that its lacking to rival ok computer is a money song aka paranoid android, go radiohead cant wait for their next
    JukeB0X Hero
    these songs are all great, and show a lot of blend and maturity since they have been a long time in the making with a bit of influence from every album. i just don't like most of them. the only one i listen to is jigsaw falling into place and maybe faust arp. the others don't seem like my vision of radiohead; esp. 15 step which just annoys me stylistically though yorke's vocals fit well. the same with the intro to house of cards... so with 1/2 of the songs on this album, my feeling is this . i lean towards these songs b/c of my radiohead fanboy-ishness, make them bold b/c some bits of style just annoy me, but there's an underlining of talent in every one. yay... In )s
    tbarrettl
    This is the Perfect Representation of
    Jk3y wrote: radiohead are simply awesome with their unique sound...however, i miss the ok computer sound, they're trying to explore new sounds and set them apart from everyone else...but really you just want a rockin guitar based radiohead album, besides, they made that sound, if anyone should change their style, it should be the bands copying them...also if anyone mentions muse, leave them alone...they are nothing alike and they're both brilliant!
    Thanks someone feels the same way as me and This album is amazing musically it is like the Hybrid melting pot of everything from the Bends to HTTT and unlike HTTT the songs aren't separated by Kid A on Stlye and Earlier styles but rather mixed into something great.
    Kozworth
    I love the song Reckoner. Maybe one of their best ever. I am seeing them in St. Louis, should be amazing.
    gabehutch
    good album pretty overrated though alot of it is very similar best songs are 15 steps, bodysnatchers, all i need and jigsaw piece.....