Kid A review by Radiohead

• Released: Oct 3, 2000
Radiohead: Kid A

The music on Kid A is for the most part, very relaxing and electronic. The album has a whale music type vibe. Most of the songs are quite slow and mellow with songs like Kid A sounding like they have some sort of childrens toy playing in the background. For the most part the album is about the base; with songs like Kid A and National Anthem having base lines that you blow you away. Other songs like Optimistic have a Radiohead type vibe with the rock sound but with a similar vibe that allows it to fit in with the rest of the album. If you like Sigur Ros or any type of electronica and want a mellow relaxing album that sounds great, I suggest that you get Kid A.

For the most part the songs don't have very many lyrics. Songs like Kid A have around 5 lines of lyrics throughout the entire song and seem as if there were anymore it would take away from the song. The more rockish songs on the album like Optimistic are full of lyrics that are quite good. For the most part the lyrics are so few and far between that they are entangled in metaphors that make the song sound different after 20 listens. Amazing sounds on the lyrics too with songs like In Limbo where the lyrics sound electronic and it completely fit the song as if it is being sucked down a drain.

I got the album as a gift, I wasn't really a big Radio Head fan and my first few listens to the album I didn't really care for. After that I was enveloped by what is Kid A and listen to the album more than any other one that I own. It is completely different from what you would expect from anything that you would hear on the radio. Probably why their most rock sounding song, Optimistic, was their single. The most impressive song on the Album is National Anthem. The song contains a small orchestra that by the end are all playing completely different stuff. The song is either love it or hate it based on how different it sounds from any other song on the album. The album is great for long trips as it will easily help you fall asleep but is sadly shy of 50 minutes long. If the album were lost or stolen I'd buy it the next day, maybe even two copies just incase it happened again. But the album sounds nothing like what you'd expect from Radiohead, be forewarned.