Kid A review by Radiohead

• Released: Oct 3, 2000
Radiohead: Kid A

Attention all OK Computer lovers: there's more to Radiohead than just that album. And their 1999 followup album proves just that. To a lot of people (OK Computer lovers, mainly), Kid A was Radiohead's "turning point"; it is where they started going downhill. Well, anybody who thinks that is only saying that because they care more about the guitars and drum loops than the actual music itself. If we're tackling this from a musical perspective, the album is brilliant, and probably one of Radiohead's best. Sure, I'll admit that the songs were really weird to me at first, and I almost cast it aside, but I decided that being narrow-minded and ignorant about it wasn't going to help. So I listened to it; actually listened. And it's great. Right from the start you can tell that the album is going to be great. With the synth opening up "Everything In Its Right Place" and the backwards opening vocals, you can tell already that you're not going to get anymore "Paranoid Android" like riffs. But don't be a Radiohead fan because of OK Computer, be a Radiohead fan because of Radiohead. This album, in a nutshell, is a work or sheer brilliance.

Okay, for the most part the true lyrics on this album are hidden behind voice distortion and, for the opener, backwards vocals. However, whatever lyrics that are there are, as usual, astonishing. Most people have a hard time understanding what they really mean and think that it's just jibberish and, at times, a joke, which it can be. But the truth is that Radiohead isn't going to serve you straight-up, get-to-the-point lyrics; that's for no-brainers who don't like to "think" about their music. "Cut the kids in half" a line from "Morning Bell." Now, do you honestly think that he's talking about cutting some kids in half? My god, you people, open up your minds a little and actually think!

Another flawless work by one of the greatest bands ever. I don't care if they changed their style, I'm still buying their new album. The fact that they are brilliant musicians is often tossed aside by today's mainstream society that would rather hear some four-powerchord repetitious single by Good Charlotte than actually give real music a chance. For those of you who would choose Good Charlotte, I pity you. For those of you on Radiohead's side no matter how techno their music is, congratulations; you're a real music fan.