Kid A review by Radiohead

• Released: Oct 3, 2000
Radiohead: Kid A

This album was a risky move. After Radiohead released the outstanding LP OK Computer in 1997, all the fans had high expectations to what would come next. And "Kid A" came next. This electronically heavy record was not what anyone had expected. It seemed that RH had changed their way of looking at their music, from "anyone can play guitar" to "who needs to play guitar anyway?" Sure, they did throw away the guitars in this album - but it worked! From the sythesized first track "Everything In It's Right Place" to the last "Motion Picture Soundtrack," it worked. Radiohead still seems to keep me interested, with little guitar. The most shocking track on the CD is probably "Idioteque." With a dance theme to it, a drum machine is used throughout the whole song. However, this "shock" is probably one of the best tracks on the CD in my opinion. I think it is one of those love/hate songs.

Yes, much of the singing is quite distorted and hard to make out. However, the lyrics are still great and at radiohead standard. I have to say the lyrics have become more strange, and harder to see through than before. A lot of the time the lyrics are hard to understand. The lyrics are full of metaphorical phrases.

Overall, Kid A is a great album. For those who are used to listening to old RH, it takes a while to get used to. But when you do, it is an astonishing album. However, I do prefer OK Computer and the bends, as it is a bit too heavy on the techo side of music.