Kid A review by Radiohead

• Released: Oct 3, 2000
Radiohead: Kid A

I had heard a bit about Radiohead before, but never really bothered seriously listening to their music. After hearing "High And Dry" off of The Bends, I decided to check out their music more seriously. Kid A was pretty much a random alblum choice, and was I surprised when I heard it. Absolutley nothing like the guitar driven "Bends" but still brilliant, even from a guitarists point of view. I remember being sucked in from the moment I heard the keys on "Everything In Its Right Place" on the car ride home from the store to the fiftieth time I listened to the whole alblum all the way through while just chilling out and thinking. Be forewarned, there is very little guitar work on this alblum, but that doesnt at all mean it cant inspire and impress a guitarist. Radioheads brilliant combanation of electronica and rock/alternative sheds light on an unseen genre landscape, similar to the haunting alblum insert drawings. Drums, whether acoustic or electronic are powerful and ever-changing, hardly ever a continuous loop. And as many have mentioned before, the bass is excellent and often overlooked, driving many of the songs home.

Lyrics were excellently fitting to the desolate landscape described by the music, very random and paranoid. If you are used to straight-up lyrics that make perfect sense, give this a spin, it will change the way you look at lyric-writing. Radiohead makes brilliant use of repeating lines of verse and creating brilliance without rhyme or "punch lines". Thom, while not having the greatest voice, makes brilliant use of it anyway, especially noticable on "Idioteque" where the gasps between lines drive the maddening tune along.

Overall, this alblum has had suprisingly one of the largest influences on my approach to writing music. From the 6/4 time signatures featured on "In Limbo" and "Everything In Its Right Place" to minimalist vocals and drums on "Idioteque" to free-jazz insanity on "The National Anthem," there is something for everyone. If this were stolen, I would crucify the stealer and then bury him in a tomb from which he would arise in three days or so. Then I would make him pay for another one in addition to the rest of Radiohead's alblums.