Kid A review by Radiohead

• Released: Oct 3, 2000
Radiohead: Kid A

Soundwise, this is a lot more electronicaly influenced than OK Computer. Personally, I've grown to really like this album. Everything in its Right Place, Kid A, The National Anthem, Idioteque, Morning Bell and Motion Picture Soundtrack are all great songs. I heard Thom wanted to include the latter on OkC but I'm glad they didn't because I think its much more suited to the musical stylings of this album. By far the best song is the acoustic How to Diasappear Completely. This is a beautiful song with superb lyrics. The other 3 tracks, Treefingers, Optimistic and In Limbo are ok. There are a lot of great riffs on this album, however, there are some annoying flaws. Its often hard to understand what Thom is singing because his voice is so distorted, and for some reason they forgot to include a lyrics book, which is unforgivable. I would recommend going online to get the lyrics, because they're actually quite interesting. Overall though, its a solid and unique effort.

I would say that the lyrics are even more weird on this LP. However they are certainly thought-provoking. I especially like the lyrics on HTDC ("There there. That's not me") and the National Anthem ("It's holding on. It's holding on"), but they're all excellent. Thom's voice has a lot of special effects mixed in but there's no doubting his skill. Again I mention it over and over, but I would say the best vocal song is HTDC.

Compared to their other albums, I would say that it is worse than the Bends and Ok Computer, better than Pablo Honey, and roughly the same as Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief. Its a pretty consistent album quality-wise, and it flows together nicely. My favourites would be HTDC and Idioteque, which is virtually a dance record. Also the album sleeve rocks. If it were lost, I would definately buy it again, even though it's already on my iPod. For anyone who's wary of trying it out, I would certainly recommend it. It's a pretty experimental album, but there's plenty of the old Radiohead you know and love in there. A pleasant surprise.