Kid A review by Radiohead

• Released: Oct 3, 2000
Radiohead: Kid A

Radioheads Kid A album was a massive leap in style for the band. Former albums by radiohead were more guitar influenced like their classics, the bends and ok computer. 1997's Ok computer was radioheads masterpiece that earned them imense success worldwide, so when 2000 rolled by and radiohead released kid a, the anticipation was palpable. The sound from the album was completely different, driven by electronica, jazzy elements and other progressive elements. Thom Yorke, the bands lead songwriter claims he had writers block caused by his severe depression after the touring for ok computer, and he began to listen to electronic bands like aphex twins and others. Out of this the band spent over a year mixng elements including classicalinstruments like brass instruments and jonny greenwoods favoured ondes mardenot, and various synths and simulators. Out of all this I believe that radiohead have created an amazingly unique sound that fuels the idea that they are one of the only bands who arnt afraid to try anything and attempt to bush the boundries of western music. Songs like everything in it's right place, the national anthem and ideotique sound amazing and are truely innovotive, motion picture soundtrack (though it pointlessly has 4 minutes of silence) is a beautifal song and one of the surprises of the album. I think the sound radiohead have created for this album was brave as it might have alienated their earlier fans but I think they have pulled it off.

The lyrics for this album are hauntingly brilliant. Thom Yorke is reknowed for being one of the 90's best songwriters and he pulls out all the stops here. Kid A the title track of the album is amazingly sung and the subject matter is horridly tragic, ideotique and the national anthem display radioheads plitical side, everything in it's right place is just beautifally sung as is motion picture soundtrack. Thom Yorke is as usual a brillian singer, is falsetto is right at home with his scat singing and his lyrics are as good as his vocals. The lyrics suit the music beautifally. As does Thom Yorkes voice.

Kid a was the herald for a new genertaion in radioheads evolution, and it is far more then just a stopgap, I hold this up there with my favourite albums, as soon as I heard the national anthem I knew I must have it, what a bargain finding it for 5. I think the best song of the album is the national anthem it just really tugs me in with that powerfull bass line and the irrelevent trumpet solo adds to it's genius, my only criticsm is that as a guitarist I would have loved for jonny greenwood's uniquley briiliant style to have had more time to shine but I suppose you can't have evrything. A great album you simply must buy it I couldent go without and neither should you.

fitterhappier34
    AN ALBUM FROM THE GODS. all hail. i'm sorry, i don't exaggerate when i say that ok computer, kid a, and in rainbows are the most PERFECT albums that have graced my ears. ever.
    jmilli2
    Baltic Ave.
    jmilli2 wrote: This is the worst CD I ever bought. I ended up using as a coaster but it made my tea go bad so I gave it to a tramp - the tramp then died.
    "jmilli2" is a tool. Just sayin'. My ex-girlfriend got me into radiohead. I hated it at first. But then I started to gradually learn to love it. I recently bought Kid A. At first, I was like "no way, this is too weird" But it probably my favorite of their cds now.