OK Computer review by Radiohead

• Released: Jun 16, 1997
Radiohead: OK Computer

If you were to listen to Radiohead's previous album, "The Bends" and then immediately pop OK Computer in, you just might get a shock from the complete change in sound. OK Computer is a brooding, powerful, pessimistically optimistic and amazingly cohesive. Radiohead's most powerful work (to me at least), this album has a electronic feel (though nowhere near as much as Kid A or Amnesiac), focuses on solid drum beats, rocking bass and well placed guitar. On this album Radiohead goes for an ambient sound, drawing comparisons to Pink Floyd undoubtedly. The sound is impeccable. However, fans of The Bends might find trouble with the transition.

The lyrics on this album are amazingly well written, although perhaps a bit incomprehensible at times. One thing people should realize is that this album is very sarcastic, and the lyrics prove it. Electioneering is probably the best example, with the infamous phrase "I trust I can rely on your votes." Yorke's vocals are the perfect fit to the album, creepily haunting and beautiful. Though not displaying as much emotion as on The Bends, Yorke definitely means what he says, and shows it in the singing.

At first, I was almost afraid to listen to it again. I didn't enjoy it the first time, for reasons undefined. But, the second listen was like a revelation. Everything seemed to just fall into place and I heard OK Computer's majesty in all it's glory. The album will take a while to get used to, but once you understand it it is sure to become a classic in your collection. My favorite songs are Exit Music (for a film), Karma Police, and Electioneering. If I ever lost this album (which I did recently) I would go out and buy it again (which I also did) in a heartbeat. OK Computer is sure to remain Radiohead's ultimate triumph, a modern classic.

GreekRockr9
    ApeOfJustice wrote: I heard this album sucks, I heard that Blackholes and Revelations is better.
    Wow. That was unneccesary. Why don't you listen to the album yourself and decide which is better. I'm as big a Muse fan as anybody, but OK Computer (as well as a good bit of other Radiohead material) blows Muse out of the water.
    flea878
    Best album ever. Yes, both the Bends and Kid A are good, but OK computer just has that ability to make you shiver, but in a good way. And im sure im probably not allowed to state in our society that the best album ever isnt a work of the Beatles, but **** it, Radiohead are just a bit better.
    h3llang3l
    I love this album with my Heart and Soul, with The Bends just behind it Just think, OK Computer with Street Spirit (fade out) and Fake Plastic Trees, And then take off Let Down And Homesick Subterrainean Alien. That would make a album so good it would convert the world into Radiohead lovers!
    KileManA7X
    I can tell a lot of the refereces on this album come from the book The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    benjidude945
    AceOfJustice:
    I heard this album sucks, I heard that Blackholes and Revelations is better.
    yeah well guess what? Muse sucks there you go
    JukeB0X Hero
    this album is best, followed by bends. i think paranoid android was their best song ever. radiohead said they wanted it to be the "new bohemian rhapsody", and it is, radiohead-style. fitter happier scared me when i first listened to it. the lyrics are great: a haunting, robotic voice describing the daily life of an average person, with a darkly humorous intent. all members of the band play fantastic roles in this album, especially yorke, though his lyrics are cryptic AND difficult to even make out in most songs.