Pablo Honey review by Radiohead

• Released: Feb 22, 1993
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Radiohead: Pablo Honey

"Just another Pixies influenced grunge band" were many peoples first impression of Radiohead's arrival in 1993 which is not far from the truth infact. The heavy three-guitar attack was used by the band on their first album Pablo Honey and is at some points used to dazzling effect for instance in the mindblowing "Blowout." However this trend does not continue throughout the album and compared to later standards from the band many see this as their weakest work as I must agree. it's not helped either by their being a certain song called Creep on this album which is really what got them where they were back then. Thankfully this is not what people think of when they think of Radiohead today.

Pablo Honey really is a self-loathe album. In song like Creep and Prove Yourself Thom sounds like he is well basically a loser. But an ispiring loser at that. The lyrics don't show them at their best but their is adequate work within this album. Any adequate pieces are outshined by Thoms vocal capability which is unique and really is embracing and powerful.

By far the worst Radiohead album but by no means a bad album as Pablo Honey was what got them going and will always be remembered for great songs such as Creep, Anyone Can Play Guitar and Blowout. For a Radiohead fan this is still a must-have but not necessarily their best work.

Fret and Worry
    No way, man. Kid A is an incredible album - I urge you to listen again, this time with an open mind.
    brett-
    I guess I'm in the minority. I love almost every song on this album.
    ava adore
    brett- wrote: I guess I'm in the minority. I love almost every song on this album.
    I'd have to agree with you 100%.
    RustedFox
    "The only disposable Radiohead album" - along with Kid A and Kid B and Kid C. Can Radiohead please get back to rocking instead of making strange noises through lots of computers ?
    Repitition
    Creep, Anyone Can Play Guitar, Blowout and some other shit than no one cares about. Still Radiohead rule.
    rafaga
    Creep is the only song of Pablo Honey... maybe Anyone can play the guitar is good too. The way of playing the guitar in this album is really good, but a bit boring, that's the first impression... and the second too. Radiohead bornt with The Bends and dead with Ok Computer... the next albums are not such great works. Can you imagine that Radiohead is one of my favourite band?
    burndttoast
    This CD really is an acquired taste. I thought it as pretty tasteless at first, but after a couple more listens and an attempt to hear all the instruments, I think it's a pretty sweet CD. But yeah, not exactly their best work.
    spaceboy85
    this album is one of the strongest first albums of all time, up there with weezer's blue album, jeff buckley's grace, and the clash self titled
    Nerdo-sez-bo
    This is Chuck Palanuik's favourite album apparantly. I think it's alright, not their best.
    tbarrettl
    I do think, like their other albums, it has an impact on your mind, The best moments here are truly great. Note: A friend of mine said Creep was the first Emo Song ever.
    Mcut202
    I think this album is very good. I don't understand why everyone hates it.