Pablo Honey review by Radiohead

• Released: Feb 22, 1993
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Radiohead: Pablo Honey

I am doing a review of this album purely because there's only one review done so far! This album deserves some credit for being the album that jumpstarted Radiohead's career. In totally unexpected ways however. Creep was not the way the band wanted to get started. Because of the overwhelming success of the single, they later wrote My Iron Lung (one of their best songs) as a response to the hype. The band now resents this album and it's very easy to see why. They rip Pixies and Nirvana rips left and right and pull off very typical guitar crunches. The most experimental track is Blow Out, with it's almost jazzy drum beat. The band says it's the best song on here and that's true. However my favorite is Vegetable, a great little pop tune. A very nice melody to it.

Radiohead was writing unique lyrics from the beginning and that shows with Creep and Anyone Can Play Guitar. Creep is one of those 'self-loathing' 90's slacker hits that somehow isn't depressing at all but almost hopeful. Anyone Can Play Guitar gets pretty ridiculous though with Thom yelling "I wanna be Jim Morrison!", which is one of the most cryptic Radiohead lines ever!

Of course this album can't compare with other Radiohead albums. Possibly The Bends, but it ends there. They got a million times better within the upcoming years and just kept on exceeding expectations. Where other '90s bands faded out in a drugged out haze and made shitty, generic alt. rock, Radiohead blew away expectations (starting in '95 with The Bends) and became one of the best bands on the planet, 12 years in a row now!

x Trev x
    i don't understand all the negative reviews for this album. it's just as good as the others (except "kid a", which is their best work).
    JukeB0X Hero
    the style is just so different from other albums, esp. thom's vocals which made the bland lyrics in most songs even more painful. i think creep was supposed to be more of a trendy song, but i still listen to it; the whole world does. people's opinions of it are just influenced by what radiohead said of it in their early days of performance, which weren't easy on them.
    GreekRockr9
    Meh. I'm not a huge fan of the album. I mean, Radiohead is one of the greatest bands of all time, and this was in my opinion their weakest album. However, that really isn't saying much. It's still amazing, just the lesser of 6 masterpieces (not counting singles or EPs).
    repoTHEemo
    If anyone owns this album on CD, like the original one, does anyone have the track that comes after "Blow Out" called "Creep (Acoustic)"? I noticed its just the same thing as "Creep" only radio edited. Anyone notice this?