The Bends review by Radiohead

• Released: Mar 23, 2009
Radiohead: The Bends

I first got listening to Radiohead with their 'OK Computer' album, and to be honest, I thought that it was one of the greatest albums ever. I listened to it constantly. Then, one day, my brother gave me a burnt copy of 'The Bends'. He told me that it was better than 'OK Computer', and I was really quite skeptical. I wasn't sure what he was talking about; and album better than 'OK Computer'. So, I put it in, and throughout the course of 12 songs, I had made the conclusion that their was one album better than 'OK Computer' and it was indeed 'The Bends'. First off, you have to understand Radiohead's style if you're going to even listen to them. It's not like metal (I happen to be a huge metalhead) where you can just put in any band of that genre and it's pretty much all the same. Radiohead has pretty much adopted their own way of making music, whether it's techno or rock or prog rock or whatever; it's awesome nonetheless. To put it simply: this is just a flawless album. You literally can't find a low point or a bad note or anything. It's just excellent all the way through. One thing that really stuns me and other Radiohead fans alike is the fact that they can go from 'Pablo Honey' to 'The Bends' like that. The two albums seem to have generations and generations in between them, although 'The Bends' came out not that long after 'Pablo Honey'. I just can't believe that a band can change that much and just be that good.

Radiohead are like the Pink Floyd at lyrics. I cannot believe how clever their lyrics can get. They're dark, mysterious, and they always have some deeper meaning that only a Radiohead fan would realize (even though the lyrics do get a little awkward sometimes). Thom Yorke is such a great vocalist. I have to say that it fits well with the far out effects that the band is using. Like I say, Radiohead have a very distinctive style, and Thom Yorke certainly contributes to it.

Like many other fans, I believe that 'The Bends' is definitely the best Radiohead album. It's not only an amazing Radiohead album, but a great album of the 1990's. Every generation has an album like this: in the 70's it was Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon', in the 80's it was GnR's 'Appetite for Destruction', and in the 90's it was 'The Bends'. It's just one of those albums that had such an impact on the music industry and society. I only wish more albums were like this today.