The Bends review by Radiohead

• Released: Mar 23, 2009
Radiohead: The Bends

Radiohead are my favourite band and one of the things I love about them is how their music has changed over the years. After making Pablo Honey which was made famous by Creep (good song but probably overrated) Radiohead made The Bends. It still is quite angsty at times with songs like my iron lung however the songs that really make the bands great are street spirit and fake plastic trees. Centred around Thom's beautiful choir boy style voice. Every song in the album is good but they sound more different than Pablo Honey. There are many melodic songs as (Nice Dream), High And Dry, Bullet Proof. I Wish I Was as well as heavier rock style ones such as just, Bones And Sulk. This is one of the greatest albums ever and it will influence you in ways you never thought music could!

One of the best things about Radiohead is the vocal skills of Thom and the lyrics of the songs he sings. Radiohead's lyrics can be nonesensical but incredibly meaningful at the same time as well as beautiful and funny. 'They brought in the whole marines and the CIA to blow me away' shows Thom's sense of humour just listen to the end of Fake Plastic Trees at the 'if I could be' part, it's beautiful 'she said that she'd like the come help but the sea would electrocute us all' incorparates all of the things above 'suck your teenage thumb toilet trained and dumb' haah when I first heard that I was sucking my thumb drool coming out of my mouth listen to the 'scream as the fight for life' part of street spirit' these are just a few examples listen to it yourself for the rest.

This was the first radiohead album I listened to and it is my favourite. I was a little apprehensive when I stared because I had been told that radiohead were very strange but I found the bends really accesible and easy to listen to. It starts off brilliantly with Planet Telex and throughout has really good songs but they are different. It is early days Radiohead so is more rock style but it is not as angsty as pablo honey. High And Dry, Just, My Iron Lung All Amazing and of course Street Spirit which is just too good for words I love the bends and would especially reccomend it to someone who has not yet heard any Radiohead albums and does not know where to start.