The Bends review by Radiohead

• Released: Mar 23, 2009
Radiohead: The Bends

This was my first Radiohead album! And what an album it was and still is. I found it in my aunt's house about 2 years ago and so I swiped it. I heard good things about the band. I couldn't stop listening to it. It kept growing and growing on me. There isn't one thing off with this album. From the distorted openings on the beautiful Planet Telex to the ending melancholy of Street Spirit. The album took everything about Pablo Honey and amplified it and made the melodies and lyrics and hooks much better.

Thom Yorke shows up his vocal chops in full force, screaming in Just, softly crooning in Fake Plastic Trees, or half moaning in Street Spirit. His voice is perfectly suited for every song here. And the vocals are touching and biting. Street Spirit's are heart-breaking and thought-provoking. "Rows of houses are bearing down on me, I can feel their, blue hand touching me" and "this machine will, will not communicate these thoughts and this strain I am under" seem to predict the masterpiece, OK Computer. My Iron Lung is a reactionary piece to the success of Creep (and sounds like it should've been a worldwide hit instead).

The music videos are must-sees from this album. Watch Just as soon as possible is you haven't already. Street Spirit is also terrific with it's stop-motion camera. Also try your hardest to track down the singles from the album. The b-sides are fantastic! Killer Cars, Maquiladora, Talk Show Host, Bannana Co, Bishop's Robes, and the cool remixes like the LFO DJ one of Planet Telex. But those are just the unused material from one of the best albums ever made. There's nothing to dislike about it. I would buy this again in a heartbeat if I lost it.

Gouged
    Along with OK Computer, this stands to be the greatest album of the 90's. Buy it now.