The King Of Limbs review by Radiohead

• Released: Feb 18, 2011
Radiohead: The King Of Limbs

Radiohead have always been experimental in their sound, avoiding to fall into one genre of music and give a repetitive sound over and over. In this album, their use of guitars has lessened and altered, leading to a more ambient sound and their rythmic section consists mostly of electronic-like beats and groovy basslines..although it might have bummed out guitar enthusiasts(and this is a guitar site after all), they have managed to make an impressive album that can blow your mind and leave you lying down, unconsciously moving to the rythm of the song if you keep an open mind and give it a proper listen..or many proper listens, it can take a while to kick in.

Thom Yorke has always been writing his lyrics in kind of a cryptic style, they usually don't make much sense as a read but combined with the music they manage to induce emotion and, although it's often like his lyrics contradict the vibe of the music, you can always tell that they really are a vehicle for the music to get to you. The King of Limbs's lyrics are no different than that, with the sole exception that the depression of their previous albums has somehow diminished and the new songs can get you in a positive place of mind, which is something many were really looking forward to experience from Radiohead. Thom's voice is a perfect fit to the music, and he still continues to treat his voice as an instrument instead of something that stands out(like the vocals in Feral), letting it blend in to the music instead of overriding it.

I wouldn't compare The King of Limbs to their previous albums, it strikes similarities to all of them but it's its own thing..definately their most electronic album yet, it's an amazing listen if you focus on it and play it a few times..the songs that stand out the most are are the last 4 songs on the album, Lotus Flower, Codex, Give Up The Ghost and Separator..overall, I loved their ambient sound and the way they progressed but some of the bits kind of threw me off, and that's the only flaw I can find in this album..definately worth bying, I'm getting the newspaper edition and I would definately replace it if it was stolen/lost.

Wall_of_sound
    Codex is amazing....so simple in itself, yet so complex with all its different layers, and Thom's voice is right at the top of its game. The album takes a few listens, but well worth it once you've given it a good go, I'd love it if a Part 2 comes out with the newspaper edition, awesome work once again
    ktlb07
    i dunno...i feel like radiohead's sound on this album really lacks some substance. its good background music if your cooking or reading. for me that was about it. not really impressed.
    fitterhappier34
    Harry_66
    fitterhappier34 wrote: Codex probably ranks in my top five Radiohead songs of all time...which would make sense considering it resembles Pyramid Song (my favorite RH song of all time). Anyways, it's a beautiful song on an excellent album.
    I had the same feeling with Codex. What a great tune. And combined with Give Up The Ghost, I think they`re the highlight from this incedble record. Feral an Separator also shine bright.