Evil Empire review by Rage Against the Machine

• Released: Apr 16, 1996
Rage Against the Machine: Evil Empire

The self-titled debut was the angrier and heavier of all their albums, but Evil Empire is where the music starts to get a catchier tone (to me, anyways). The bass had a slight boost in volume, and the drums were good too. As always, guitarist Tom Morello is up to his cool guitar solos, especially on "Bulls On Parade", which made it sound like record scratching, which fits Zack de la Rocha's rap/funk style vocals. There was a lot more technical guitar riffs too, while the debut album had a lot of heavier ones.

I disagree less on lyrical concepts on this album, perhaps I don't disagree with them altogether. Obviously political stuff, so I sometimes don't know much on areas of the lyrics. Oh well, I give this a 4.

Recommended tracks are "People Of The Sun", "Bulls On Parade", "Vietnow", "Revolver" (which I thought was plain brilliant), and "Wind Below". I remember hearing a song on radio years ago which I didn't know the artist or song, which turned out to be "Bulls On Parade", which I thought was pretty cool. Like I said, this album is where the music starts to get somewhat catchier, but I recommend 'Battle Of Los Angeles' also, which is more catchier. This was pretty good album, but other than the recommended songs up there nothing really stands out, but that's just my opinion. Good album. Worth getting.