Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium review by Rage Against the Machine

• Released: Nov 25, 2003
Rage Against the Machine: Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium

My impression of the sound and music is a great one, almost everyone of my favourite Rage songs with the exception of a couple, Fistfull of Steel, Take the Power Back, and New Millenium Homes. Despite these not being on there, the songs are exceptionally done. It's the same Rage any fan would have come to know, but with fans screaming in the background and sometimes singing along, in Killing In the Name. As always, Tom Morello's guitar is more innovation than any of these punk-pop bands put together. The songs are very well done. My favourites are Bulls On Parade, Born Of A Broken Man, I'm Housin', Know Your Enemy, and Guerrilla Radio. Some of the songs are shortened or slightly changed, such examples are Freedom and Killing In The Name.

The lyrics are politically driven, as usual. It's a mix of all the songs of their first and only 4 albums. The songs deal with fucked up democrats and republicans, Bush and Gore, in Testify, to songs that deal with how the mass media gets into your home and your head, Bullet In The Head. Freedom is a cry for justice for Mumia-Abu Jamal. Of course, Zack de la Rocha, the vocalist doesn't sing, he mixes rapping with another style, anger-filled preaching.

It's quite comparable to any other RAGE album as it's just a mix of their first 4 albums, but performed live. As I said before, Bulls On Parade, Born Of A Broken man, and Know Your Enemy are probably the best songs. I love the start to the album, a little time of the crowd screaming, then guitar feedback, and finally the start to Bulls On Parade. Freaking amazing start to an album. If it were stolen, I'd definitely buy it again. It's definitely worth buying, for a RAGE fan, a guitar enthusiast, or someone wanting to choose to buy one of their albums. This should probably be the one because it's got at least two songs from each of their albums. To summarize, go get this album, excellent guitar riffs as usual, powerful vocals, and the fans at the concert provide a great atmosphere. A must buy.