Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium Review

Rage Against the Machine: Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium
Released: Nov 25, 2003
Genre: Rap Metal, Funk Metal, Alternative Metal
Styles: Epic
Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium is a live album released by Rage Against the Machine. It is a recording of two shows Rage played at the Grand Olympic Auditorium in their hometown of Los Angeles on September 12 and 13, 2000.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.5
 9.7
 9.3
Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium Reviewed by: 07Hoobastank07, on april 09, 2004

Sound: This is the newest release from rage against the machine. This album is a live release of their last two concerts ever as a band on Sept. 12th and 13th of 2000. This album is dedicated to all rage's fans. The style is rap/rock/metal. This album has great sound quality for a live album. The produce an awesome sound in front of a huge audience. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are good and this album contains all of the best songs from their previous albums. It has a large variety of sounds on all tracks.

The playlist is:
1.Bulls on Parade 2.Bullet in the Head 3.Born of a Broken Man 4.Killing in the Name 5.Calm like a Bomb 6.Testify 7.Bombtrack 8.War Within a Breath 9.I'm Housin' 10.Sleep now in the fire 11.People of the Sun 12.Guerrilla Radio 13.Kick out the Jams 14.Know your Enemy 15.No Shelter 16.Freedom...some stellar tracks there but it's missing a favourite of mine Taking the Power Back. The vocals are amazing for a live performance. // 8

Overall Impression: It outdid any other live album I've listened to in the same style. Overall a phenominal performance. The most impressive songs are Bulls on Parade, Killin in the Name and probably Testify and those get the biggest reactions from the crowd. I love the quality of the performance. One thing I don't like are the bad sounding bass notes in some songs.(although I'm no bass player so I don't know is that sound is normal. This record is definitely worth the buy if you are a fan or even if you aren't. // 10

Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium Reviewed by: whipwreck, on october 25, 2007

Sound: The sound is just as good as the album in most cases, Zacks voice has a different feel but with rage they rarely slip up on live performances, with Timmy C, Morello and Wilk. It is interesting to see how Morello changes the solo's in some cases with the lack of readiness that he would have on a recorded version. However this is what a live performance is about, no one wants to hear a carbon copy of what they have already got. They want the passion and feeling, and rage deliver. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of RATM are always amazing, such fury and yet such passion floods through the sould of Zack De la Rocha; there is some shakey parts on the album such as in kick out the jams, but overall it is an amazing and powerful performance. However because of some of the covers you do not feel that they are singing their true material and what they made for themselves, not the public to hear. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to their other live albums (battle of Mexico city and live and rare) it holds up very well because it has all their best songs. It also the raw passion of any rage live event, if you also put the fact that this was their last show for five years you can see how it is one of the true classics of RATM. // 10

Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium Reviewed by: Kenney333, on april 11, 2004

Sound: For a live record the producing is very well done, the croud never drowns out the music and the songs all sound the way they should. The band does in incredible job performing their innivative and difficult music live, without any noticeble errors. The words of Zach de la Rocha and amazing guitar rifts and solos of Tom Morello combine to make a great sounding album. // 10

Lyrics: The powerful and passionate lyrics are expressed better in live concert than anywhere else. The rhymes flow smoothly and the words say much more than any popular bands now. Even though this was their last performance you would never know it to listen to it, the passion and feeling is still there // 10

Overall Impression: This is a compilation of all the best Rage songs, those who liked the band will love the album and those who never heard their music will love them after listening. All the songs are powerful and very enjoyable musically, you can listen to it over and over without boring yourself. Easily one of my favorite albums and id recommend it to anyone. // 10

Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 10, 2004

Sound: My impression of the sound and music is a great one, almost everyone of my favourite Rage songs with the exception of a couple, Fistfull of Steel, Take the Power Back, and New Millenium Homes. Despite these not being on there, the songs are exceptionally done. It's the same Rage any fan would have come to know, but with fans screaming in the background and sometimes singing along, in Killing In the Name. As always, Tom Morello's guitar is more innovation than any of these punk-pop bands put together. The songs are very well done. My favourites are Bulls On Parade, Born Of A Broken Man, I'm Housin', Know Your Enemy, and Guerrilla Radio. Some of the songs are shortened or slightly changed, such examples are Freedom and Killing In The Name. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are politically driven, as usual. It's a mix of all the songs of their first and only 4 albums. The songs deal with fucked up democrats and republicans, Bush and Gore, in Testify, to songs that deal with how the mass media gets into your home and your head, Bullet In The Head. Freedom is a cry for justice for Mumia-Abu Jamal. Of course, Zack de la Rocha, the vocalist doesn't sing, he mixes rapping with another style, anger-filled preaching. // 10

Overall Impression: It's quite comparable to any other RAGE album as it's just a mix of their first 4 albums, but performed live. As I said before, Bulls On Parade, Born Of A Broken man, and Know Your Enemy are probably the best songs. I love the start to the album, a little time of the crowd screaming, then guitar feedback, and finally the start to Bulls On Parade. Freaking amazing start to an album. If it were stolen, I'd definitely buy it again. It's definitely worth buying, for a RAGE fan, a guitar enthusiast, or someone wanting to choose to buy one of their albums. This should probably be the one because it's got at least two songs from each of their albums. To summarize, go get this album, excellent guitar riffs as usual, powerful vocals, and the fans at the concert provide a great atmosphere. A must buy. // 10

Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium Reviewed by: ANewFoundPride, on august 05, 2004

Sound: Awesome sound. All the songs are done surprisingly well with Tom changing a few of his solos but still being just as inventive as ever using his massive arsenel of effects at his will. Since I have the DVD of the same concert also, its really really cool to see how Tom does all of his solos. Its amazing to hear and listen to. // 10

Lyrics: Zach still preaching his anti-power/establishment lyrics. He also lets the crowd sing the lyrics a few times. I find that his style of singing just makes all that more of a point when he is doing it live in concert. He stays in beat with the band the whole time and the mix of vocals and instruments packs one hell of a punch. // 10

Overall Impression: The crowd is screaming waiting for RATM to hop on stage. And when they finally do and start playing bulls on parade, the crowd explodes into a mass of applause, screaming, and shouting. In my opinion, a great way to start off the album. Althougth it is missing just a couple of my favorite songs, it still has some great ones like Guerilla Radio, Know Your Enemy, and Bulls On Parade. Since this cd is just basically RATM tracks from all of their albums preformed live, this cd is my favorite. Everyone who is a Rage Against The Machine fan (like myself), must go out and buy this cd this instant. Its beats any other band's live albums by far. // 10

Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 06, 2004

Sound: This CD is pretty much a compilation. It has thier best tracks. The sound is incredible for it being live, hell, its good ayway! The thing that got me about his is that Tom Morello (guitarist) doesn't use effects, (only distortion, reverb and gain) to wich he doesnt use much of. The only falling of the sound is when Zack De La Rocha (singer) yells. I've Read other revews saying they love his yell, but personally, I dont. // 10

Lyrics: Best lyrics ever, they should make a "6" just for Zacks writing. They are so powerful, and anyone who knows about the band knows, thats what they were meant for, and thats what they lived by. Zack is (in my opinion) when of the best lyrical writers of all-time. Although he's not the greatest singer, everything just comes together so beautifully with the band. // 10

Overall Impression: Awsome. This band has been a benchmark for all others who strive to be like it. (Obviosly I'm a big Rage fan.) The fact that Morello doesn't use effects just blows me away, this guy is one of the greatest ever. Give him a pen and sign him up for the guitar gods tour! Again, Zack isn't that great a singer, but that guy can write with the best of em. If this album was lost or stolen I'd steal a car and crash into the CD store in a hurry to buy it again. // 10

Comments