Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium [DVD] review by Rage Against the Machine

• Released: Dec 9, 2003
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Rage Against the Machine: Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium [DVD]

Rage sounds just as good if not better in this live recording than they do on their albums. The quality of the effects used by Tom Morello on lead guitars are excellent. I knew he was a good guitarist, but I had no idea how innovative he was. On a bonus track "People Of The Sun," he rubs an allen wrench on the strings to produce that signature riff. Watching this concert changed my perspective on how music can be played.

Content — 10
There are 17 songs from the concert, plus a bonus concert (six song set), and two music videos. RATM played all of their best songs, although I was a little dissappointed they didn't play "Wake Up." The concert was Rage's last before Zack De La Rocha quit the band in 2000.

Production Quality — 9
Just like you were at the concert (minus thousands of screaming fans in your ears, unless you have thousands of screaming fans in your living room), there were only a few video clips that didn't have to do with the music. When one song was over they would just play the next one. It was satisfactory, but there wasn't anything that blew me away about the production.

This is one of the best live DVD's I have seen. RATM is just such an exciting band to see live (Audioslave doesn't bring the same excitement to the table). The thing that impressed me most was the sound quality. I also have a Guns N' Roses live in Tokyo - 1992 DVD. Guns N' Roses is my favorite band, but I prefer the Rage DVD because their live shows sound better. The vocals, drums, bass, and guitars are all equal to that of studio recording. Not many bands can reproduce that kind of sound quality in a live enviroment. If I lost this DVD, I would definitely buy another one. This concert totally amazed me, even after watching it numerous times.