Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium [DVD] review by Rage Against the Machine

• Released: Dec 9, 2003
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 7
Rage Against the Machine: Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium [DVD]

Rage Against The Machine were the band of the nineties. They ended very abruptly in 2000 after the cover album Renegades after frontman Zack De La Rocha left. Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium was their final show. As usual, Tom Morello's guitar was phenomenal. He possesses amazing creativity and certainly is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. However, Zack De La Rocha's voice and stage presence had certainly diminished by now and you could tell he was near the end. On previous live recordings, during 'Bulls On Parade' he would jump around and scream the lyrics, whereas in this dvd he seems somewhat reluctant, and while he still covers the stage very well, he wasn't as energetic as previous live shows. Having said that, he is still an amazing singer and the best political lyricist since Joe Strummer.

Content — 9
The dvd is basically a live show, with a 15 track setlist. The band released a cd version of their final show, but it had a different tracklist. Personally I prefer the live dvd, but anyway. The dvd starts off with 'Bulls On Parade', an explosion after Morello builds tension with an interesting intro. The band run through most of their more popular songs, such as 'Bombtrack', 'Guerilla Radio' and 'Killing In The Name'. The low point of the dvd came during this song when the crowd missed a great oppurtunity to scream with Zack during the 'F--k you I won't do what ya tell me' part. C'mon people, its not as if you don't know the words! Rage also include some interesting tracks as well. They perform the Australia-only bonus track, 'No Shelter' which they run through with ease. The band also plays an EPMD song 'I'm Housin'', which later appeared on the Renegades album. But the biggest surprise and probably the best performance of the night was the cover of Cypress Hill's 'How I Could Just Kill A Man'. A tighter version of the original, the band brings out B-Real and Sen Dog to play with them. It is an amazing duet, and the three singers gel brilliantly. The bonus features on the dvd include two extra tracks from their last show, 'People Of The Sun' and 'Know Your Enemy'. It also includes a half-hour performance from the Democratic National Convention, where Rage held a gig in protest. The live show is fairly good, although it doesn't measure up to their final show. The dvd also includes the alternate video clip to 'Bombtrack' and the video to 'How I Could Just Kill A Man'.

Production Quality — 7
The dvd and album were both produced by the great Rick Rubin, so the production of both is amazing. From start to finish the sound quality is perfect. Also, they echoed Zack's voice in some parts, which is pretty cool. An interesting note about the final production. They seem to have injected some slow-motion and blurred parts into the live performance. Some people feel this takes away from the energy of the performance, but really I don't see it as a problem. Overall it is pretty good production.

This dvd is certainly very impressive. The Wilk, Commerford, Morello and De La Rocha were seasoned performers together and this dvd is a fine example of that. I love the fact that they included the Cypress Hill cover on it, that song is probably the best performed. The one part that pissed me off was the Killing In The Name of performance. It was as if Rage got a touch of the Nirvana syndrome, and couldn't be bothered/didn't want to play their biggest hit. Nonetheless, it is a great dvd and because my local cd shop is selling it for $10 bucks at the moment, if it were lost I would definitely go and buy it again.

[ LiAm ]
    am i the only one who though tom's guitar was too quiet from sleep now in fire onward? especially during the demo convention
    DenHond
    It's a good DVD, with some video clips and a second mini concert... I love it, just stupid that the band doesn't exist anymore... Audioslave isn't just the same as RATM, the music is way to soft and common...