Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium [DVD] review by Rage Against the Machine

• Released: Dec 9, 2003
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 8
Rage Against the Machine: Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium [DVD]

From the beginning, Rage Against The Machine have come up with new ways to make noise. In the studio they play around with strange effects to make sounds that give they're records an extra dimension. These sounds are carried over perfectly in live performances in general, and this DVD is no exception. It covers RATM's final performance in 2000 at the Grand Olympic Auditorium. The DVD is basicly the performance, nothing more although nothing more is needed. It also includes bonus performances of "People Of The Sun" and "Know Your Enemy". Also another 5 or so live songs played outside the Democratic convention. For the Feature presentation, the sound was pretty good, except Tom's amp could have been a bit louder. As for the Demo Convention, the sound was horrible. You could hardly hear Tom at all, but all was forgiven when you saw cops being battered by protesters. The bass throughout the DVD was huge, which is what I love about RATM. Zack's voice was studio-perfect, which surprised me, although I hated it when Tim sung. He sounded like a drunk caveman.

Content — 10
After a short introduction made from chopped up previous performances, protests and music videos, Bulls On Parade begins kicking of the show. Tom's wah skills are impressive and the bass sounded huge. Zack was flipping his dreads all over the place. Then came Bombtrack, a very energetic performance all-round. Tim's Bass intro to Calm Like A Bomb was executed perfectly, and sparked a huge cheer from the crowd, although admittedly not my favourite song. Bullet in the Head was next and once again very energetic with the build up to "You got a bullet in your f--kin head!!" Sleep Now In the Fire came next with tom stamping his foot through the whole song. The solo was a bit flat, and could have been improved. Another one from Battle Of LA, War Within a Breath was next with Zack screaming the chorus got the crowd surging. People were literally throwing themselves over the barricades through the whole show. I'm Housin from the unreleased (at the time) Renegades album could have been left out, not a particularly 'crowd pleasing' song. This was the time for Zack's little speech, can't remember what it was about but I was listening when he said "Alright this song is called Killing In The Name". I was beginning to get sick of this song, but now I love it again, a great rock song. Born Of A Broken Man's intro riff settled people down before hyping them up for the chorus, a great crowd pleaser. Then they played "No shelter" which was altered a bit from the CD release. Guerilla Radio sounded 100 times better than on the CD, the riffs much cleaner. How I Could Just Kill A Man was sung by two people from cypress hill and Zack together, although they werent needed or wanted in my opinion. A very up-beat and sped up version of Kick Out The Jams once again got the crowd moving. Testify came next, another track from Battle of LA which sounded like the CD version in every way, which I suppose is a good thing. And for an epic finish, Freedom. I loved the way they slowed down for the verse, then sped up for the chorus. Great Track list, although a few more Evil Empire songs would suffice. The bonus tracks should of just been included in the set list but the Music videos and extra perfomances were great extra material. Very satisfying.

Production Quality — 8
Production quality. Not very present here. It was basicly a live performance, so a few cameras around the place cought all the action. There were shots of the whole band, shots focusing on a particular band member then shots of the crowd. That's basicly it. The lighting was great and changed with the mood and speed of the songs. The way it was put together focuses on the band which is great.

I have to say, RATM's live performances rival those of heavy metal bands with intensity. The band jumps around and the mood is very energetic. It's great how the editing is at a minimum. Its shots straight from the cameras catching all the action as if you were there in the Pit. A great DVD with a superb performance by rage Against The Machine.

f1sk
    I thought it was a pretty good one, plenty of good quality stage footage, I didn't see any problems with the sound, anyway, its definitely worth owning