Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium [DVD] Review

artist: Rage Against the Machine date: 01/14/2008 category: compact discs
Rage Against the Machine: Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium [DVD]
Released: December 9, 2003
This DVD captures Rage's final concert performance in 2000. The event was laid down on film, not video, so it's got a professional vs. a made-for-Canadian-TV look. The straightforward look is on display for the bonus material of the performance outside 2000's Democratic National Convention in LA; plus, this may be an even better musical performance than the Canadian show.
 Content: 9.8
 Production Quality: 8.8
Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium [DVD] Reviewed by: Will_GnR_87, on june 08, 2006

Sound: Rage Against The Machine were the band of the nineties. They ended very abruptly in 2000 after the cover album Renegades after frontman Zack De La Rocha left. Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium was their final show. As usual, Tom Morello's guitar was phenomenal. He possesses amazing creativity and certainly is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. However, Zack De La Rocha's voice and stage presence had certainly diminished by now and you could tell he was near the end. On previous live recordings, during 'Bulls On Parade' he would jump around and scream the lyrics, whereas in this dvd he seems somewhat reluctant, and while he still covers the stage very well, he wasn't as energetic as previous live shows. Having said that, he is still an amazing singer and the best political lyricist since Joe Strummer. // 8

Overall Impression: This dvd is certainly very impressive. The Wilk, Commerford, Morello and De La Rocha were seasoned performers together and this dvd is a fine example of that. I love the fact that they included the Cypress Hill cover on it, that song is probably the best performed. The one part that pissed me off was the Killing In The Name of performance. It was as if Rage got a touch of the Nirvana syndrome, and couldn't be bothered/didn't want to play their biggest hit. Nonetheless, it is a great dvd and because my local cd shop is selling it for $10 bucks at the moment, if it were lost I would definitely go and buy it again. // 9

Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium [DVD] Reviewed by: autumnskyguitar, on march 02, 2006

Sound: Rage sounds just as good if not better in this live recording than they do on their albums. The quality of the effects used by Tom Morello on lead guitars are excellent. I knew he was a good guitarist, but I had no idea how innovative he was. On a bonus track "People Of The Sun," he rubs an allen wrench on the strings to produce that signature riff. Watching this concert changed my perspective on how music can be played. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best live DVD's I have seen. RATM is just such an exciting band to see live (Audioslave doesn't bring the same excitement to the table). The thing that impressed me most was the sound quality. I also have a Guns N' Roses live in Tokyo - 1992 DVD. Guns N' Roses is my favorite band, but I prefer the Rage DVD because their live shows sound better. The vocals, drums, bass, and guitars are all equal to that of studio recording. Not many bands can reproduce that kind of sound quality in a live enviroment. If I lost this DVD, I would definitely buy another one. This concert totally amazed me, even after watching it numerous times. // 10

Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium [DVD] Reviewed by: [ LiAm ], on january 14, 2008

Sound: From the beginning, Rage Against The Machine have come up with new ways to make noise. In the studio they play around with strange effects to make sounds that give they're records an extra dimension. These sounds are carried over perfectly in live performances in general, and this DVD is no exception. It covers RATM's final performance in 2000 at the Grand Olympic Auditorium. The DVD is basicly the performance, nothing more although nothing more is needed. It also includes bonus performances of "People Of The Sun" and "Know Your Enemy". Also another 5 or so live songs played outside the Democratic convention. For the Feature presentation, the sound was pretty good, except Tom's amp could have been a bit louder. As for the Demo Convention, the sound was horrible. You could hardly hear Tom at all, but all was forgiven when you saw cops being battered by protesters. The bass throughout the DVD was huge, which is what I love about RATM. Zack's voice was studio-perfect, which surprised me, although I hated it when Tim sung. He sounded like a drunk caveman. // 9

Overall Impression: I have to say, RATM's live performances rival those of heavy metal bands with intensity. The band jumps around and the mood is very energetic. It's great how the editing is at a minimum. Its shots straight from the cameras catching all the action as if you were there in the Pit. A great DVD with a superb performance by rage Against The Machine. // 10

Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2004

Sound: Awesome sound. Same sound any Rage fan loves, with crowd in the background cheering. No real story, but a thank you to the fans who supported them throughout their career. It's Rage man, rap/rock/funk/hip-hop/hardcore/punk. Rage's got it all. // 10

Overall Impression: Yes, a great item for a Rage Against The Machine fan to have. It's better than a lot of DVD concerts I've seen. The most impressive thing is the performances themself. I love almost everything, lot of stuff for a Rage fan to enjoy. I hate that they didn't do "Take The Power Back." If it was stolen, I would go buy it again, for sure. Definitely worth the purchase, especially since I bought it right when it came out, for less. // 10

Live At The Grand Olympic Auditorium [DVD] Reviewed by: bengunn516, on march 28, 2006

Sound: When someone listens to Tom Morello play guitar, they would assume that most of what he is playing is heavily computerized, technological bullsh*t. But when you watch this dvd and hear the sounds he makes live, it's safe to say that you will blown away, as I was. His ripping guitar with ever inventive and original sounds, accompanied by Zach De La Rocha's lyrics and Brad Wilk's drumming gives this concert the best sound I have ever heard. // 10

Overall Impression: The music on this DVD is better than that on the CDs which are of course the best ever made. When watching this DVD the first time I swear to God I almost had a seizure it was so incredible. The crowd atmosphere is stunning and the only thing that exceeds it is the music. Buy the thing right now and make sure you have a towel because you might have a mess of bodily excretions to clean up after viewing. // 10