Rage Against The Machine review by Rage Against the Machine

• Released: Nov 3, 1992
Rage Against the Machine: Rage Against The Machine

Rage Against The Machines self-titled first album in 1992 was the initial blast of venomous songwriting and energy. Unlike most conventional bands at the time, The use of Toms guitar playing made it sound if anything but a guitar. All the songs are very provocative in the form of politics, which is trying to push through the point of rebelling and waking up to everthing going on around us, hence the track "Wake Up" and "Killing in the Name" with its "F--k you I wont do what you tell me!" The album basically covers the problem with our governments and Zak uses many metaphors such as guns and bullets "Bullet In Your Head," "I think I heard a shot" to make his point heard. The music in itslef is very innovative with the guitar solos, the heavy thunder of the drums, and the slapping of the bass. With an ending track named "Freedom" it is self explanitory as to what is being said here, and is an excellent ending to a marvellous album.

The lyrics are an attack against the government and politics. Rebelling against, making a stand. They are all based on american historical events and the bands childhoods, especially Zakk's. The music and the lyrics go well together, with Zakk yelling them out, then followed by one of Tom's solos, which fit perfectly together. The lyrics also raise awareness to those who have suffered from the wrong end of politics and the injustice in society. Zakk's vocals are an attribute with its slight rap hinged on to the punk aura.

Overall this has to be the best album Rage have made. Bombtrack has got to be one of my favourites along with Wake up and Freedom, which I love to play on guitar. Whenever I'm feeling down or sad, its great to just put on this album, pump the volume up and relax listening to that guitar soloing and amazing lyrics. Again id just like to say that this is one of the best albums I've ever listened to in my life.