Renegades review by Rage Against the Machine

• Released: Dec 5, 2000
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Rage Against the Machine: Renegades

Even though this was an ok album, its the least favorite of the RATM albums. It is a cover album, with some covers by good classic rock/punk artists, and some horrible rappers. When it comes to the sound, it was vocal, guitar, bass and drums all the same, but its not the material they wrote, so their techniques were limited in my opinion: they weren't able to show off their own stuff because they were just covers re-interpreted in the RATM lineup. Not that it was too bad, or anything but I thought Tom Morello could've done better in some covers such as "Microphone Fiend" and "Pistol Grip Pump".

Because there were a couple of (not-very-good) rap covers, so Zack De La Rocha rapped more on this album, and this time it somewhat bothers me knowing it was covers of real hip-hop. Yet, the bright side is there is some classic rock and punk songs where he performed very well, where he didn't exactly "sing" but it wasn't rap either, so I must give him some credit there. Also, on their cover of Devo's "Beautiful World", which was done by acoustic guitar, he supposedly uses harmonious vocals, but it was like he was whispering, or there was something wrong with his voice he can't sing a ballad, but still, I give him big credit for the effort. On the cover of Afrika Bambaataa's "Renegades Of Funk", his rap is more like what he's always done to me, at least in Battle of Los Angeles, so it wasn't bad like some others.

It's an ok album, and the favorite tracks are "Kick Out The Jams" [MC5], "Renegades Of Funk" [Afrika Bambaataa], "Beautiful World" [Devo], "Down On The Streets" [The Stooges], "Street Fighting Man" [The Rolling Stones], and "Maggie's Farm" [Bob Dylan]. If you want to get this album, that's fine but I personally suggest buy/downloading thsoe songs or whatever you happen to like, from one of them legal download sites. An ok album.

bobthejamaican
    Renegades of Funk is a sweet as song and How Could I Just Kill A Man is freakin deadly. ROCK ON 4EVA RAGE!!