Renegades review by Rage Against the Machine

• Released: Dec 5, 2000
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Rage Against the Machine: Renegades

This is not necessarily my favorite Rage album. Although it got negative reviews and some friends told me not to get it, I picked up because curiosity got the better of me. I'm not impressed with the sound. This is a cover album and I think Rage did some songs that they shoud'nt have. Their sound on previous albums was excellent and you could feel the angst and the passion in their music, but there is none of that here. They even covered a Cypress Hill song which I think was totally unecessary. Other than those little flaws, the sound was decent, but not up to Rage standards. I think this album was put out in a hurry and they did'nt give time to actually observe what they were doing.

Zack de la Rocha is definately a hot-head who is pretty much known for screaming about politics and the world. That is absent. Don't get me wrong, there is good songwriting here they did some songs by great artists such as Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, and Devo. The lyrics are a mixed bag. "I'm Housin" has the line, "So I stepped back and started sprayin' niggers." What the hell kind of song is that for a band supposedly concerned with human rights to cover? On the other hand, the parade of political agitators in "Renegades Of Funk" is pretty awesome to listen to, and Dylan's "Maggie's Farm" is the absolutely best song on earth for RATM to have done of cover of. Not only that, but they improve on the original (musically) possibly more than any other cover song I've ever heard. The lyrics are inconsistent, but good. It still all fits together.

Like I said, I think this album was hurriedly released and it eventually foreshadowed the breakup of Rage. This was'nt an impressive way to end their career. It is not lacking in the high adrenaline department like the last albums, but it does lack flow and the great writing that we have seen before. The whole album is great from beginning to end, although I think I could live without "Beautiful World" (here we see Zack's true singing talent: none). If you're a hard core Rage fan like me, you probably already have this album; if you're not a hard core fan, I would recommend that you pick up Rage's self-titled album or Evil Empire for examples of their best work.

HotDogs1
    Read the last review under the "Sound" part "De la Rocha is kinda of into the hip-hop raping." hahaha yea watch out for them hip-hoppers they'll gang bang you and take all yo money....that means watch out for joaquin phoenix too
    Rising_Sun91
    The lyrics are a mixed bag. "I'm Housin" has the line, "So I stepped back and started sprayin' niggers." What the hell kind of song is that for a band supposedly concerned with human rights to cover? What the hell man? this album is a show of where all these musicians talents have stemmed from-Zack is an MC man, this is where he came from, I'm Housin is an essential track on this album. Its interesting to see Rage's take on these classic songs, and i say all power to them for it.
    GaryS
    i cant believe people gave this album bad reviews,the renegades album along with all there other albums is immense.