Renegades Review

Rage Against the Machine: Renegades
Released: Dec 5, 2000
Genre: Rap Metal, Funk Metal, Alternative Metal
Label: Epic
Renegades is a cover album by American band Rage Against the Machine.
 8.4
 8.3
 8.4
Renegades Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on october 31, 2006

Sound: This is not necessarily my favorite Rage album. Although it got negative reviews and some friends told me not to get it, I picked up because curiosity got the better of me. I'm not impressed with the sound. This is a cover album and I think Rage did some songs that they shoud'nt have. Their sound on previous albums was excellent and you could feel the angst and the passion in their music, but there is none of that here. They even covered a Cypress Hill song which I think was totally unecessary. Other than those little flaws, the sound was decent, but not up to Rage standards. I think this album was put out in a hurry and they did'nt give time to actually observe what they were doing. // 6

Lyrics: Zack de la Rocha is definately a hot-head who is pretty much known for screaming about politics and the world. That is absent. Don't get me wrong, there is good songwriting here they did some songs by great artists such as Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, and Devo. The lyrics are a mixed bag. "I'm Housin" has the line, "So I stepped back and started sprayin' niggers." What the hell kind of song is that for a band supposedly concerned with human rights to cover? On the other hand, the parade of political agitators in "Renegades Of Funk" is pretty awesome to listen to, and Dylan's "Maggie's Farm" is the absolutely best song on earth for RATM to have done of cover of. Not only that, but they improve on the original (musically) possibly more than any other cover song I've ever heard. The lyrics are inconsistent, but good. It still all fits together. // 6

Overall Impression: Like I said, I think this album was hurriedly released and it eventually foreshadowed the breakup of Rage. This was'nt an impressive way to end their career. It is not lacking in the high adrenaline department like the last albums, but it does lack flow and the great writing that we have seen before. The whole album is great from beginning to end, although I think I could live without "Beautiful World" (here we see Zack's true singing talent: none). If you're a hard core Rage fan like me, you probably already have this album; if you're not a hard core fan, I would recommend that you pick up Rage's self-titled album or Evil Empire for examples of their best work. // 7

Renegades Reviewed by: 5ironaudiorage, on april 01, 2004

Sound: Raged, Angry, Moody. Metal, Rap, Techno. Tom ripped his guitar up just like on any other album. That has always been my favorite part of Rage and Audioslave. It was still great, but a little less creative. Still, awesome wahs, and the good old whammy. // 10

Lyrics: Zach is very a very skilled singer. He can make you feel so angry. But for this album, the lyrics weren't directed so much to the government. And it kinda took the "Against the Machine" part out of Rage Agaist the Machine. // 6

Overall Impression: I didn't like this album quite as much as the other Rage albums, though it is still a good album. The songs I like on this cd are: How I Could Just Kill A Man, Ghost of Tom Joad, And Renegades of Funk. I still love Tom's sweet guitar and solo's, but the lyrics weren't quite up to Rage's standard. I would recommend buying this album to any Tom Morello or Rage fan, but if your not, well, why the hell are you reading this anyway? // 8

Renegades Reviewed by: KeviePie04, on april 19, 2004

Sound: This was a cover album by Rage, and it showed their overall potential to take a any song and keep the same basic formula, but still make it their own. Zack's vocals are awesome here, showing his full anger in tracks such as 'Pistol Grip Pump' and Minor Threat's 'In My Eyes', and showing his softer side in 'Beautiful World. Tom's doesn't do as good as it could, though, but it's a cover album, so he can't really make up a new riff for every song. It's still great though, I especially love the chorus of 'How I Could Just Kill a Man'. // 8

Lyrics: This was a cover album, so I can't really say anything about the lyrics. I may say that this album displays Rages philosophical and musical roots, and kinda shows hwo they got their unique sound. Zack does a flawless performance of every song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was, overall, great, as are all the RATM albums, even for a cover album. The highlight tracks are 'Pistol Grip Pump', 'In my Eyes', 'The Ghost of Tom Joad', and 'How I Could Just Kill a Man'. Every aspect of the album is great, except the guitar section, which is lacking a little bit. IF this were stolen, I would definitely buy another copy. I would definitely buy this album if your into Rage at all. // 10

Renegades Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2004

Sound: The sound what can I say its Rage. Always great sound fast loud hard. De la Rocha is kinda of into the hip-hop raping. I like the way it comes out when a really talented lead singer and really great musicians come together. I don't want to call it rap but the way the sing is pretty much rap with rock in the backgorund but it's awesome! // 10

Lyrics: Everything is politcal or has a message to it. I really like the lyrics and think they go great with the music. The lead singer is awesome! Bottom line Rage's lyrics are kickin. // 10

Overall Impression: Rage is the awesome! Every one of their songs has a different sound and there all great. I love Rage Against the Machine and would highly recommend you buy the albulm Renegades! // 10

Renegades Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on october 13, 2004

Sound: Even though this was an ok album, its the least favorite of the RATM albums. It is a cover album, with some covers by good classic rock/punk artists, and some horrible rappers. When it comes to the sound, it was vocal, guitar, bass and drums all the same, but its not the material they wrote, so their techniques were limited in my opinion: they weren't able to show off their own stuff because they were just covers re-interpreted in the RATM lineup. Not that it was too bad, or anything but I thought Tom Morello could've done better in some covers such as "Microphone Fiend" and "Pistol Grip Pump". // 6

Lyrics: Because there were a couple of (not-very-good) rap covers, so Zack De La Rocha rapped more on this album, and this time it somewhat bothers me knowing it was covers of real hip-hop. Yet, the bright side is there is some classic rock and punk songs where he performed very well, where he didn't exactly "sing" but it wasn't rap either, so I must give him some credit there. Also, on their cover of Devo's "Beautiful World", which was done by acoustic guitar, he supposedly uses harmonious vocals, but it was like he was whispering, or there was something wrong with his voice he can't sing a ballad, but still, I give him big credit for the effort. On the cover of Afrika Bambaataa's "Renegades Of Funk", his rap is more like what he's always done to me, at least in Battle of Los Angeles, so it wasn't bad like some others. // 6

Overall Impression: It's an ok album, and the favorite tracks are "Kick Out The Jams" [MC5], "Renegades Of Funk" [Afrika Bambaataa], "Beautiful World" [Devo], "Down On The Streets" [The Stooges], "Street Fighting Man" [The Rolling Stones], and "Maggie's Farm" [Bob Dylan]. If you want to get this album, that's fine but I personally suggest buy/downloading thsoe songs or whatever you happen to like, from one of them legal download sites. An ok album. // 6

Renegades Reviewed by: TRH, on may 10, 2010

Sound: One of the more interesting things about RATM is that none of their albums sound exactly the same. Of course de la Rocha is screaming and Tom is doing some off the wall guitar sounds, but each album is very distinctive in their own respects. Renegades is no different. While their debut featured a solid metal/rap sound, Evil Empire was more hip-hop orriented, and Battle of Los Angeles was a nice combo, Renegades touches on all bases. The album mainly stays on a hip-hop vibe, but always has a nice icing of hard riffs and a solid bass-heavy rhythm section is always present. Zach seems to annunciate the lyrics with a crisp ferocity that is rarely found on earlier Rage albums. Tom displays insane riff skills throughout, turning Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen songs into fist pumping, arena shaking rock anthems. The production of Renegades seems to be a bit more polished than earlier albums, but that grit and attitude that the band is known for remains untouched. // 10

Lyrics: This is a cover album, so in no way do the lyrics say anything for Zach de la Rocha's writing abilities. However, Rage covered some true classics from a multitude of artists that are known for reaching audiences through their lyrics and storytelling. So while it is odd to hear Zach scream about the "spraying n****s," it works somehow. They didn't go into the studio to make a political statement of an album, it seems more like a jam session that was meant for fun, and nothing more. // 10

Overall Impression: I absolutely love this album. I usually hate cover albums, but Rage avoided making a kareeokee copy of every song. Every cover is redone in a way that gives new life to each song. The album served its purpose, and did so beautifully. It's just a shame that this album basically broke the band up in the first place. Regardless, if you are a Rage fan, this album definately deserves your attention and hearing ability. // 10

Comments