The Battle Of Los Angeles review by Rage Against the Machine

• Released: Nov 2, 1999
Rage Against the Machine: The Battle Of Los Angeles

In this album, the guitar technique is very well performed, and has plenty of catchier riffs in my opinion. The solos don't sound the way a guitar normally would, and that's Tom Morello's signature style. I found interest in RATM when I heard "Guerilla Radio" on radio (get it?) On that song, when Morello plays the solo, it sounds like it was a horn or some other blowing instrument he was playing. Very unique. Bass and drums were pretty cool too, a couple of RATM songs have cool bass intros in them. I liked the drums on "Mic Check", which was the closest thing that resembled to hip-hop that I can actually tolerate. The guitar sounded like turntables or some DJ stuff or digital effects, so it was weird as it was cool. The riffs and solo to "Calm Like A Bomb" was catchy as ever.

Zack De La Rocha has still more of his rap n' stuff but that was okay in this case. I actually thought how he performed his vocals in "Testify" were brilliant. The lyrics to "Maria" was pretty meaningful, too. One other side I respect of the band. I personally don't like "Sleep Now in the Fire", though, because it sounded too much like "Testify", both vocal and some rhythm.

Great album. While the self-titled debut was heavier and angrier, this album had more guitar skills and talent expressed, I believe. Good tracks are "Testify", "Guerilla Radio", "Calm Like A Bomb", "Mic Check", and "Maria". Like I said, "Sleep Now In The Fire" sounded too much like "Testify" and I don't like it, but I hear a lot of people do, so you'd have to be the judge of that song after you listen to it". Yes this is a great album worth getting, my personal favorite of the RATM albums. Good thing I saved this album in mp3s in my PC, so if it got stolen or damaged, I won't have a problem. I wouldn't let it be stolen anyway. Its too great an album. You get it too. You'll find something you like.