Sound — 10
After the dissapointment of Evil Empire, the world expected Rage to totally flop and burn away like all the other bands. Idiots. Listen to the intro of Testify and be proved wrong. Tom Morello is the most talented guitarist of all time, when he plays, it isnt his actual playing, if you make him play the hardest Jimi Hendrix solo with clean guitar, he would probably mess up. No, it's all about the effects. The laughing guitar, the swipes and wipes, the octave jumpers, but at its heart, it is just the riff. I have not listened to one single Rage riff and not loved it instantly, it's just so catchy and pure.
Lyrics — 10
The lyrics are deep and attacking. Suprisingly, there is a song which isnt about politics at all! Not very Rage, but still very good lyrics, the song is Born Of A Broken Man, and it is one of the most straight-rock Rage songs. I've always looked up to Zack de la Rocha, because he has more bravery than any other vocalist out there, he can storm into the rock scene, performing the one thing pure rock fans hate the most, rap. Good on him.
Overall Impression — 10
01. Testify - this is what I talk about when I say catchy riffs. Best bit: breakdown.
02. Guerilla Radio - the big single, raring to go, and it explodes immediately, bringing the whole world in to listen. Best bit: trumpet-like guitar solo.
03. Calm Like A Bomb - the most powerful song lyrically (excluding the "All hell can't stop us now" lyric in "Guerilla Radio") and pretty damn close musically too. Best bit: pre-chorus.
04. Mic Check - the closest thing to hip-hop ever to come from a metal band. Great vocals too. Best bit: rapping.
05. Sleep Now In The Fire - pretty much "Testify", but less of a catchy riff, a bit of a filler, but still bloody good. Best bit: solo.
06. Born Of A Broken Man - deep and dark, the chorus doesn't look back. Best bit: verse.
07. Born As Ghosts - very strange this one, a hip-hop verse with a great rock chorus, very weird indeed, but still not awful. Best bit: chorus.
08. Maria - another hip-hop verse, and still very catchy, but it does make you wait for the almighty riff to come along. Best bit: riff.
09. Voice Of The Voiceless - short and sweet. The verse guitar is mindblowing, he's playing a melody with effects! Best bit: intro to riff bridge.
10. New Millenium Homes - this riff is rock music gold, you can't go wrong with something like that. Another great song with interesting drums from Brad Wilk. Best bit: solo.
11. Ashes In The Fall - odd effects and basslines all over the place here, very interesting song. Best bit: breakdown.
12. War Within A Breath - oh no, its over! Bloody album that doesn't go on forever! Best bit: final chorus.