The Battle Of Los Angeles review by Rage Against the Machine

• Released: Nov 2, 1999
Rage Against the Machine: The Battle Of Los Angeles

As per usual, the sound on this album is great. If you look on the back of the jewel case it says all sounds created by vocals, drums, and guitar, so all that sound came without a keyboard or synthisizer of any sort and Soul Power did not dissapoint. With a range from inspiring funk to just plain rebellious rock n' roll, this albums sound is absolutely amazing. But, however great an album it is, RATM seems to fall into a pattern. A pattern of good music, yes, but none the less I would like to see a bit more variety.

Zach de la Rocha, the lyrical master and king of rhyme, wrote the inspiring and rebellious lyrics we all know and love. While this particular style doesn't take much vocal skill, it's the words themselves that count here. But, once again, Rage is falling into a pattern, one I would've loved to see them break before they split up. As much as I look up to and admire Zachs work, a band cant just be straight up rebellion all the time.

My favorite song on this album would have to be either "Sleep Now In The Fire" or "Born Of A Broken Man." While "Sleep" has the speed and agression thats expected and loved, "Born" is just so powerful. Overall its a great album and if I lost mine or it was stolen, you can bet your life that I'll have a new copy within a week. To all Rage fans I strongly suggest this album, but if you are a fan chances are you already have it. To those who are new to rage, at least download it, you'll most likely love it to death.