The Battle Of Los Angeles review by Rage Against the Machine

• Released: Nov 2, 1999
Rage Against the Machine: The Battle Of Los Angeles

Rage at heart is one of the first commercially popular/mainstream bands to mix rock and rap. The fluid riffs of Tom Morello and the aggressive vocals of Zach De La Rocha come together over a bass/drum combo of Timmy C and Brad Wilk to create a pretty interesting and progressive sound. I like the sound personally, it's a groovy sound that'll get your foot tapping, plus the vocals of De La Rocha are sweet, if you're into the whole pissed off rapping thing. It's really a sound of it's own, I haven't heard another band that sounds like them. As I said, most people I know are neutral or like them, but there's always some people that are turned off, mainly due to the vocals. I'll give it a 9, mainly because of that.

The lyrics on the album are pretty aggressive and energetic. Really angry/excited, they're a pretty political band, they're not scared to let you know how they feel. Zach's voice isn't Robert Plant style, you wont be hearing much in terms of soarings yells. He sounds good though, really good match for the music. I'll dock it one point though, since he tends to get too "thuggish" in a song or two, or his voice gets really gets so harsh to the point where you don't feel like listening to it anymore. I would give it 9.5 if I could, since it's not a big deal by any means.

This is another album where the vocals and musical parts of a band or album are near perfect, but the overall album is damn good. In my opinion it's their best album, slightly better than their self-titled. I love the groovy riffage and strange effects of Tom Morello, and the exciting vocals of Zach De La Rocha. Pardon me if you were looking for an in-depth opinion on the drums or bass, since I mainly listen to the vocals and guitar work (after all, I am a guitarist). It's pretty hard to pick one stand-out song, since half of them are good, and the other half are awesome. Can't really go wrong with this record, I definitely recommend it to pretty much anyone.

wildchild6660
    homertime
    you said Evil Empire was a dissapointment but in your review of Evil Empire you gave it an Overall rating of 10. What's the deal with that?
    christoffer323
    tom morello got some awesome clean soloes: Darkness of greed, Township rebellion: settle for nothing, and 1 more i cant remember name of
    freedomdeceptiv
    sweet album but less riff oriented than the debut, relying alot on the ****ed up awesome guitar playing style of tom morello... the debut was better but this one tops evil empire
    98Timberwolf
    wildchild6660 wrote: To guy who wrote first review: Actually, Tom Morello could probably play Hendrix Stuff. I heard somewhere that he used to practice 8 hours a day. What do you think he must have practiced, Chord?
    I agree. I think Tom can play with a lot of speed. He just doesn't show it in Rage songs. It's more about the riffs.