Catch The Rainbow: The Anthology review by Rainbow

• Released: Mar 18, 2003
Rainbow: Catch The Rainbow: The Anthology

Born out of the ashes of Deep Purple, Rainbow have a very impressive sound. It is immediately obvious what Blackmore would have done with Purple had he had more of a choice in the matters, as he does in Rainbow, where it is obvious Blackmore runs the show. The result is, in my opinion, a more poppy sound than Deep Purple. However, this does not stop Blackmore's guitar soloing and riffing techniques from shining through. Songs like "Starstruck" have solos that are if not exceptional, at least make you lift your head up and listen.

The lyrics seem simple, complex and, at times, downright confusing all at once. Some songs have no clear meaning, like "Man On The Silver Mountain," whereas others have clear meanings like "Starstruck." There is no doubt that their is vocal talent in this band, and this is combined with well placed riffage and band excellence, this produces a truly memorable effect.

Compared to other albums, this is not the best album I have ever bought, and if lost I would not buy it again (not just because it's already on my PC). The most impressive songs are probably "I Surrender," "Starstruck," "Stargazer," "Sixteenth Century Greensleeves" and "Jealous Lover."

StratStar21
    ya darkestnights, the singer is a guy by the name of Ronnie James Dio, how could you not mention him, havent you ever heard of him? man, blackmore and dio together led to some INSANE tunes, great band, great cd. why am i the first to comment? more people need to find the pot o gold i guess. sorry for that, i couldnt resist