Catch The Rainbow: The Anthology Review

Rainbow: Catch The Rainbow: The Anthology
Release Date: Mar 18, 2003
Label: Polydor
Genres: Album Rock, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Arena Rock
This compilation provides a deeper understanding of how the band influenced the direction of hard rock and heavy metal.
 8.4
 7.3
 9.4
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Catch The Rainbow: The Anthology Reviewed by: TheDarkestNights, on february 28, 2006

Sound: Born out of the ashes of Deep Purple, Rainbow have a very impressive sound. It is immediately obvious what Blackmore would have done with Purple had he had more of a choice in the matters, as he does in Rainbow, where it is obvious Blackmore runs the show. The result is, in my opinion, a more poppy sound than Deep Purple. However, this does not stop Blackmore's guitar soloing and riffing techniques from shining through. Songs like "Starstruck" have solos that are if not exceptional, at least make you lift your head up and listen. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics seem simple, complex and, at times, downright confusing all at once. Some songs have no clear meaning, like "Man On The Silver Mountain," whereas others have clear meanings like "Starstruck." There is no doubt that their is vocal talent in this band, and this is combined with well placed riffage and band excellence, this produces a truly memorable effect. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to other albums, this is not the best album I have ever bought, and if lost I would not buy it again (not just because it's already on my PC). The most impressive songs are probably "I Surrender," "Starstruck," "Stargazer," "Sixteenth Century Greensleeves" and "Jealous Lover." // 6

Comments