Rising review by Rainbow

Rainbow: Rising

Rainbow is the band that Ritchie Blackmore started, after he left Deep Purple. The first three albums had Ronnie James Dio on vocals, as well as writing the majority of the lyrics and some of the music. None of the other musicians stayed for more than one album, so, by utilizing basic logic skills, it is clear that the first three Rainbow albums are pretty much the same as Dio's solo work, but with Ritchie Blackmore on guitar. Which is kind of awesome, but it means that if you don't like Dio's solo career, you most likely will not enjoy the first Rainbow albums.

Rainbow "Rising," the album which I am reviewing, is the second studio album by Rainbow. It has six tracks, all of which vary in length from long, to very long. I'm only mentioning this because, this album is around forty minutes long altogether. The lyrics are average at least, really good at most and any time at which the lyrics seem lacking the epic guitar playing just about neutralizes any disappointment. I'm kind of upset that the backing band wasn't a constant throughout the three Dio-fronted Rainbow albums as all the musicians on "Rising" are a very good match with Dio and Blackmore. Also, the intro to the very first song reminds me a little too much of the intro to "Holy Diver."

Well, from what I've heard of Rainbow, I would say that the first three albums are the best and that they are probably the only ones I would want to own, but Rainbow is a good band, regardless. Only problem with this album in particular, is that it sucks to listen to any of the songs on their own, as opposed to the entire forty minutes all at once. I don't know why, but it feels like something is lost that way, even though this is definitely not a concept album. Oh, and they don't translate very well to mp3 format.

haifisch234
    Pretty much the ultimate Rainbow album. Genius. Hearing Tarot Woman live in 2005(Dio solo gig) was absolutely unbelievable. It's probably my second favourite album featuring Dio's vocals, besides Dehumanizer.