Rising Review

Rainbow: Rising
Release Date: 1976
Label: Polydor
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
This album can legitimately be mentioned in the same breath as classic Deep Purple.
 9.3
 9.9
 8.7
 1,139
reviews (2) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
Rising Reviewed by: Master Shake, on november 24, 2005

Sound: It is the band's second release, and a vast improvement over Richie Blackmore's Rainbow which lacked in direction. Blackmore replaced everyone from the first album's line-up except vocalist Ronnie Dio with Jimmy Bain (bass), Tony Carey (keyboards), and Cozy Powell (drums). The CD starts with a keyboard solo and slowly creeps into the first track Tarot Woman a very catchy track that just makes you want to listen to the rest of the album. Next there is Run with the Wolf a lighter track then Starstruck a classic groove reminiscent of guitarist Blackmore's ex-band Deep Purple. Then Do you Close your eyes where Dio's vocals are again flawless to follow onto the strongest song on Rising "Stargazer." Stargazer is an absolute classic and epic 8 minute track also featuring a nice lenghty solo from Blackmore and Dio proves just how good he is vocaly and could easily stand as its signature song. A Light in the Black is the final track and probably the heaviest on the CD once again going on for over 8 minutes and shows an early influence to power metal (early). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very impressive as is the whole album and tie in great with music particulary on Stargazer with a classic riff going through the chorus. The playing has a very tight, colorful feel to it, which was lacking a bit on the first record. Dio vocals are superb as always adding a lot of strength to the bands music and is Rainbows best lead singer in my opinion. // 10

Overall Impression: The stand out tracks for me are Tarot Woman, Stargazer An A Light In The Black. Because there is only 6 tracks its hard to find any weak spots on the album but I would have to say Run with the Wolf would be weakest song but still great. It would have to rate as the bands best album shortly followed by Long Live Rock 'n' Roll and is an absolute classic for such an underated band. Rising is a must-have for any fan of Dio, Blackmore, or classic metal. Five musicians came together for a one-shot moment that won't be duplicated. This album is magic! // 10

Rising Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on september 26, 2013

Sound: Rainbow is the band that Ritchie Blackmore started, after he left Deep Purple. The first three albums had Ronnie James Dio on vocals, as well as writing the majority of the lyrics and some of the music. None of the other musicians stayed for more than one album, so, by utilizing basic logic skills, it is clear that the first three Rainbow albums are pretty much the same as Dio's solo work, but with Ritchie Blackmore on guitar. Which is kind of awesome, but it means that if you don't like Dio's solo career, you most likely will not enjoy the first Rainbow albums. // 10

Lyrics: Rainbow "Rising," the album which I am reviewing, is the second studio album by Rainbow. It has six tracks, all of which vary in length from long, to very long. I'm only mentioning this because, this album is around forty minutes long altogether. The lyrics are average at least, really good at most and any time at which the lyrics seem lacking the epic guitar playing just about neutralizes any disappointment. I'm kind of upset that the backing band wasn't a constant throughout the three Dio-fronted Rainbow albums as all the musicians on "Rising" are a very good match with Dio and Blackmore. Also, the intro to the very first song reminds me a little too much of the intro to "Holy Diver." // 10

Overall Impression: Well, from what I've heard of Rainbow, I would say that the first three albums are the best and that they are probably the only ones I would want to own, but Rainbow is a good band, regardless. Only problem with this album in particular, is that it sucks to listen to any of the songs on their own, as opposed to the entire forty minutes all at once. I don't know why, but it feels like something is lost that way, even though this is definitely not a concept album. Oh, and they don't translate very well to mp3 format. // 9

Comments