The Hunter's Lullaby review by Raine Maida

• Released: Nov 13, 2007
Raine Maida: The Hunter's Lullaby

The Hunter's Lullaby is the first solo album released by Raine Maida, vocalist of the Canadian rock band, Our Lady Peace. The album is extremely different from what Raine did with Our Lady Peace as with The Hunter's Lullaby, you get a much rawer, hip-hop and folk sound. The album starts out with Careful What You Wish For which features an amazing melody and beat. Most of the songs (Rat Race, Confessional) have a strong beat, and very raw and acoustic sound where as others (Earthless, China Doll) are focused more minimal and focussed on Raine's voice.

It's almost as if Raine kept all the good lyrics for himself for the past few years. The lyrics in The Hunter's Lullaby are much more thought provoking than what was seen on recent Our Lady Peace albums. Most of the songs focus on political and world issues and Raine communicates them in a creative way. The majority of the songs are sung with a rap/hip-hop style that contains a more melodic component in the chorus. It works perfectly with the lyrics and shows another side of Raine's singing.

The Hunter's Lullaby is a great album by one of the best Canadian singers. As a whole, the album is very solid and all the songs fit flawlessly. I found that the most impressive songs on the album are Sex Love and Honey, The Less I Know and Rat Race as they feature a great beat and sound with meaningful lyrics. All in all, Raine Maida has revealed a side of him not seen on any Our Lady Peace record but more importantly created an amazing album with The Hunter's Lullaby.

OLP1
    I love Our Lady Peace and Raine's lyrics but Raine flat-out cannot rap, he horrible at it, it sounds like one of those kids in high school who think they can rap but really suck at it. The hooks are decent though.
    Deepkanwal
    stumaster18 wrote: Should not have left OLP. very average album.
    He's still in OLP. This was a side project for him.
    InkForTheMind
    he's not trying to rap, it's spoken word. It may not really seem like a big difference but there is a difference. Spoken word is centered around the poetry of what's being said more-so than the rhythms. He's most definitely not trying to rap because if he was you're right, it would be a sad attempt. What's up with this site getting pissed when you/I say 5th?
    suthy16
    Like InkForTheMind said, it's not rap. It's spoken word. It's "beat generation" style poems set to beats and chords. It's not for everyone and if you go into it expecting on Our Lady Peace album, you're going to be greatly disappointed.. With that said, though, it's very different from anything he's done before and it's an exceptionally well-made record.
    suthy16
    Like InkForTheMind said, it's not rap. It's spoken word. It's "beat generation" style poems set to beats and chords. It's not for everyone and if you go into it expecting an Our Lady Peace album, you're going to be greatly disappointed.. With that said, though, it's very different from anything he's done before and it's an exceptionally well-made record.
    rykar
    great record, if you arent expecting olp. he took a good route with this album, if your going to do a side project what would be the point if it just sounded like your original band.
    CanadianMaple09
    You assume when you buy it that if it's not got the Our Lady Peace name on it, it's not going to sound like Our Lady Peace. So people can quit trashing it for not sounding like OLP. As it has been said before, it is not rap, but spoken word put to music. Raine says this himself in several interviews you can read on the internet. Although I don't like it as much as OLP, it is a solid album and it's got some very catchy songs.
    Airyo
    he didnt leave OLP - theyre writing a new album right now!!