Liebe ist für alle da review by Rammstein

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Oct 20, 2009
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 9
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 9.3 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.8 (134 votes)
Rammstein: Liebe ist für alle da
5

Sound — 9
You have to hand it to Rammstein the sextet has not lost its ability to shock and/or entertain after 15 years in the business. The German group known for its creepy-yet-somehow-sexy blend of industrial rock/synth pop has always proved themselves to be an awe-inspiring bunch, particularly when the intimidating Till Lindemann sets his limbs afire for the sake of a concert performance. Somehow Rammstein has found a way to keep the danger factor alive with the 6th studio album Liebe ist fr alle da, all the while proving that its musical creativity has intensified as well. Four years in the making, the new record never becomes mired in the same sound. Yes, there are quite a few songs that might have a chorus or verse driven by power chords, but there are enough other interesting nuances that things rarely get dull. And then you have a song like the first single Pussy, whichwellwe shall get to shortly.

The opening track Rammlied is the epitome of an attention grabber, with its choral-driven intro (akin to what you might hear in a movie about soul possession) that quickly explodes into chants of what else Rammstein! The music that eventually follows does weave in more of the choral aspect, but the underlying arrangement has almost a Faith No More vibe to it. Rammlied draws you in, although that's not to say any other song on the CD mimics the opener. On the contrary, Rammstein is all over the place genre-wise, which is exactly what makes Liebe ist fr alle da intriguing.

The focal point is undoubtedly vocalist Till Lindemann, who is still the epitome of German machismo. However, one of the most refreshing things about Lindemann is, regardless of the brute nature he may convey, he still is not afraid to take on a love song. Frhling in Paris is a gorgeous ballad featuring an impeccably smooth acoustic section and Lindemann delivering a sensitive, melodically pleasing vocal line. Haifisch, although not a ballad by any means (it parallels more of an 80's synth pop style), is still a far cry from industrial and Lindemann handles it effectively.

Of course, the full-on manliness of Rammstein still reigns supreme. And if I'm being completely honest, my full preference lies in the moments when the distorted guitars (played by Richard Z Kruspe and Paul H. Landers) take over and Lindemann growls diabolically. The one track on the CD that will probably garner the most attention combines the trademark masculinity, humor, and a whole lot of sex. Pussy, which is an absolute hoot of a listen (with a chorus sung in English), might also rank at the top of Rammstein's most controversial songs. The reason? Check out the music video if you dare. Wow.

Lyrics — 9
While we're on the topic of Pussy, let's just put this on the table: It's the catchiest (and most twisted) track on Liebe ist fr alle da. After random comments about a Mercedes Benz, the Autobahn, and Fahrvergngen, Lindemann gets down to business by singing, You've got a pussy; I have a dick; So, what's the problem? Let's do it quick. There are plenty of manly lyrics elsewhere, as in Waidmanns Heil (loosely translated I have been in heat for a few days; So I will hunt a naked game; And until the morning I will sit there; So that I can give (it) a sharp shot). This pretty much sums up why Rammstein has made such a name for itself. There's certain an in-your-face quality to the band's music and lyrics love em or hate em and on this record it makes for a wildly entertaining listen.

Overall Impression — 10
Rammstein has managed to remain not only true to its history on Liebe ist fr alle da, but it has shown growth in its song arrangements. Whether inserting a majestic Renaissance-like horn section at the intro of Waidmanns Heil or delivering a gritty, industrial sound in B******** (aka Bckstab or Whatever You Want), Rammstein is not afraid to stray from the traditional rock sound. This is a band that still likely won't click with those with delicate sensibilities, but that's what makes me like them all the more.

49 comments sorted by best / new / date

    MossyMan
    He sings in english as a joke, you should know this from Amerika, "This is not a love song, i dont speak my mother tongue". Only the jokey songs are in English. And saying you hate the album because he speaks english in one song is pretty lame.
    efferus
    CoreysMonster wrote: MossyMan wrote: He sings in english as a joke, you should know this from Amerika, "This is not a love song, i dont speak my mother tongue". Only the jokey songs are in English. And saying you hate the album because he speaks english in one song is pretty lame. I know it's a joke, but it fit in Amerika because it was about america, but he's just overusing it now. it just makes the album unlistenable for me :shrug:
    Well, it is only the one single where he's singing in english. Why would that ruin the entire album? On that note, tremendously enjoyable album. After many years, they're finally back.
    RAH7747
    It's industrial ROCK for pete's sake! You want to notice something new everytime u listen to a song, then u need to go into metal. I feel that's the only genre that captures one's imagination everytime one listens to a song. If u don't feel that way, then u aint listening to metal, u are listening to rock.. But what Rammstein do is give it a nice little catchy feel which imbibes into you for a long time.. And their live shows! Omg.. They have got to be one of the best live bands out there..
    Schnecter
    RockGuitar92 wrote: I don't get what is so great about this band. I have listened to a good deal of their songs and a lot of them are similar in sound and bore the shit out of me. So please tell me why they are so great.
    The only thing I can say is if you don't like them don't listen to them. I'm not trying to be a dick by any means but everyone has their own musical taste and what works for some people won't work for everyone. I personally don't like Van Halen a whole lot. That's my opinion. Just because it's popular doesn't mean you have to like it. That's not to say I don't think Van Halen isn't talented they just don't do it for me. I've learned a couple of their songs and the guitars are badass. I just don't really like them as a group. Rammstein doesn't have alot of flashy guitars or anything but their music (to me) is incredible. The low tuned guitars coupled with Till's hardass vocals and the keyboardist's interesting ingredients to the music make love to my ears. A good band doesn't necessarily mean having show off guitarists. Take Godsmack, their guitar isn't hard at all (most of the time) but their music is amazing. Sully said on the Changes DVD that their guitarist is so much better than what he plays, but he makes the sacrifice of trying to show off for the music. Just because there is a super hard riff doesn't mean it's going to be good. Sometimes music is all about simplicity. Some of the best songs I learn or love are the easiest songs in the world to play. But like I said, if you don't like them that's fine. What works for someone else won't necessarily work for you. Just keep doing what you do and never let anyone tell you that what you like or don't like is wrong.
    GenerationKILL
    the horns at the beginning of Waidmanns Heil are the most epic thing i've ever heard, what an awesome idea to start a song with.
    Higgzy
    slashNpage77 wrote: Viking_Swede666 wrote: elgranmapache wrote: Anyone saw the uncut video for "Pussy"? I think we all have haha fact, those guys had some balls to do that video (pun intended). i thought it was pretty hilarious
    They were apparently "body doubles" for that video. I think they look identical to the band members! Mad video. Naughty!
    =McS=
    I love this band. And I think this album ranks up there with the rest of them. There hasn't been one album I haven't liked. Granted there are select tracks I could do without, but overall I generally enjoy pretty much all of them. And this album rocks just as hard as the others. Ich Tu Dir Weh I think is my favorite so far, followed by Rammlied. And the Pussy video blew me away, I kind of half don't believe it's really them, but then again it's Rammstein, so anything's possible.
    Martindecorum
    travislausch wrote: Reab wrote: Rammstein should keep singing german. The german songs are a lot more fun to listen to. What, did they stop singing in German or something?
    in one song "pussy" half n half english and german, and stated by the band its a joke song that's very bad musically. - from the making of
    demondown666
    CoreysMonster wrote: MossyMan wrote: He sings in english as a joke, you should know this from Amerika, "This is not a love song, i dont speak my mother tongue". Only the jokey songs are in English. And saying you hate the album because he speaks english in one song is pretty lame. I know it's a joke, but it fit in Amerika because it was about america, but he's just overusing it now. it just makes the album unlistenable for me :shrug:
    i dont know on this cd. but past cds english was used while insulting america. 2 or 3 songs were like that.
    FelleAndersson
    They've made ONE one song before "Pussy" which contains english lyrics. "Stripped" is a cover, a song that Depeche Mode made. I absolutely love this album, and no energy? What? Listen to "Bckstab" or "Wiener Blut" and say that there's no energy... "Pussy" is an insult to mainstream and to Americas' general view of sexuality, that's what I think at least. I mean, instead of "Oooh baby, gonna make looove to you all niight, smoothly yeeeah", they're straight to the point, as well with the video. Instead of just showing some skin, chicks in bikini etc, they're giving us what we actually want but are too shy to admit, naked ****ing women. Anyway, GREAT album, favorite song(s): Frhling in Paris, closely followed by Waidmanns Heil and the title track LIFAD.
    Martindecorum
    FelleAndersson wrote: They've made ONE one song before "Pussy" which contains english lyrics. "Stripped" is a cover, a song that Depeche Mode made. I absolutely love this album, and no energy? What? Listen to "Bckstab" or "Wiener Blut" and say that there's no energy... "Pussy" is an insult to mainstream and to Americas' general view of sexuality, that's what I think at least. I mean, instead of "Oooh baby, gonna make looove to you all niight, smoothly yeeeah", they're straight to the point, as well with the video. Instead of just showing some skin, chicks in bikini etc, they're giving us what we actually want but are too shy to admit, naked ****ing women. Anyway, GREAT album, favorite song(s): Frhling in Paris, closely followed by Waidmanns Heil and the title track LIFAD.
    thats the statement of win
    HELLBARD
    iH8CarAccidents
    I agree with this guy. It seems that rammstein have lost their talent
    Martindecorum
    ^ i enjoy pop music when bands are the sheep of a giganitc ****ing floc, rammstein music simple, catchy yes and yes, both reasons to like the band im sorry if you feel you dont like catchy music, now remember catchy doesnt have to be technical but on another note, the live show and presence these guys have is where it all is
    slashNpage77
    Viking_Swede666 wrote: elgranmapache wrote: Anyone saw the uncut video for "Pussy"? I think we all have haha
    fact, those guys had some balls to do that video (pun intended). i thought it was pretty hilarious
    HELLBARD
    But waidmanns heil sounds well. It would be good if i understood what are they singing about
    Geiger89
    These reviews are so off with how good the album is. Good songs on this album are; Rammlied, B*****, Wiener Blut, Liebe ist fur alle Da and Mehr. The rest are pretty naff and boring, and even the good tracks aren't anything compared to the good songs on Mutter and Reise, Reise, which I feel are their best albums. I used to love Rammstein, but this isn't that good. Going to see them live regardless, because that's where the songs on the album aren't going to be boring. Rammsteins live show is one of the best I've seen.
    =McS=
    BTW That's NOT them in the video. I saw a making of, and they were talking about how weird it was for them when the actors would strike a pose and then they had to step into position and make emotions with their faces even though they weren't doing anything. It was funny. But it was not them in the video, they were actors. They just provided the faces and emotions.
    kona-ucm
    hey fireyqwerty, i dont know where you get your information from but i dont think that "haifisch" is a tribute song to depeche mode. in his lyrics till describes the inseparable bond between the members of the band "sechs herzen die brennen, das feuer hlt euch warm" means "six hearts on fire, the fire will keep you warm" in which "you" adresses to the listener. furthermore he repeats "wir halten zusammen" (="we'll stick together") or analogical lines. i dont know if you have heard about the "dreigroschenoper"? its a peace of theater from Berthold Brecht. the chorus however is a modification of a song from that peace called "Die moritat von Mackie Messer" (just look it up on Wiki) oh i just read, that Louis Armstrong recorded it in english as "Mack the knife" just my interpretation...i really dont see any relations to depeche mode, though. hope i made my point. im from germany, so excuse my english.
    iH8CarAccidents
    RockGuitar92 wrote: I don't get what is so great about this band. I have listened to a good deal of their songs and a lot of them are similar in sound and bore the shit out of me. So please tell me why they are so great.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and actually agree with this guy for the most part. There is no way this album should have gotten a 9.3. I listened to a lot of the songs too. I don't think it's anything special for people to be raving about like they do. All I keep seeing in the comments is "Catchy! Energy! Epic!" This sounds like a freaking pop band. It's all power chords and backup synth. Lots of bands can do that. Is it just because they sing in German or what? I'm lost as to why everyone's so astounded. I hear very little musical talent coming from this group.
    iH8CarAccidents
    Catchy is alright for a while, but before long it just gets boring. I mean with a band like this it's pretty much all out there in the open. I like listening to a band where you can listen to a song many times and still notice something subtle that you hadn't before.
    iH8CarAccidents
    RAH7747 wrote: It's industrial ROCK for pete's sake! You want to notice something new everytime u listen to a song, then u need to go into metal. I feel that's the only genre that captures one's imagination everytime one listens to a song. If u don't feel that way, then u aint listening to metal, u are listening to rock.. But what Rammstein do is give it a nice little catchy feel which imbibes into you for a long time.. And their live shows! Omg.. They have got to be one of the best live bands out there..
    I disagree. It doesn't have to be metal to be interesting. Nine Inch Nails for example (Industrial rock) has a lot of subtle things that you don't always notice on first listen. And acoustic guitarists like Andy McKee has a lot of intricate things that take a few listens to pick out right away. Just because it's industrial rock doesn't mean it has to be so basic. But I'll agree with Schnecter and say it is a matter of opinion after all. I just think the UG reviewer could have been a little more objective.
    CoreysMonster
    MossyMan wrote: He sings in english as a joke, you should know this from Amerika, "This is not a love song, i dont speak my mother tongue". Only the jokey songs are in English. And saying you hate the album because he speaks english in one song is pretty lame.
    I know it's a joke, but it fit in Amerika because it was about america, but he's just overusing it now. it just makes the album unlistenable for me :shrug:
    SylKain
    Good album but I don't really agree with any review here. Rammstein did a good job making another solid record, yet failed in creating as many memorable tracks as they did in the past few records. Sure tracks like Fruhling In Paris and Pussy are attention grabbers, mostly thanks to some great songwriting than other factors, but most tracks just feel like tired revisits of older experimentations that don't leave much behind after a listen. Overall a good record, but hardly deserving anything above a 7 even if we forget the stellar job done with Mutter, Reise Reise and even the b-side collection Rosenrot
    Martindecorum
    as always rammstein release a great album, but even no they have the traditional rammstein sound, each album does have a different feel to it well done, cant wait for another thrilling live show
    dr-g0nz0
    @ SylKain Totally agree, the album was good. But didnt have any solid stand out songs like past ablums have. And in terms of there previous albums, im a little disappointed. Still its not to say it isnt a good solid album though
    Burakki
    I think the album's quite good, "Waidmanns Heil" is my favourite track so far...
    Reab
    Rammstein should keep singing german. The german songs are a lot more fun to listen to.
    HELLBARD
    Liebe is not bad but it undoubtedly cant compare with great Sehncuht. Singing english is dredful. So it's third normal ramm album since Mutter and I think that Rammst simply cant record incredible album .By my opinion They have reached their limit in music.
    Ruchitya T Anan
    It's surprising to see that the overall sound of the album has been rated higher than the lyrics. According to me the lyrics play a major part in holding up the album. And unlike most reviewers, this album is not a straight 10
    frethard
    "Roter Sand und weisse Tauben Laben sich an meinem Blut Am Ende gibt es doch ein Ende Bin ich doch zu etwas gut" =[/b] "red sand and white doves drink my blood at the end there is an end after all, I have some use after all"[/i] just thought I might help you out there, nice review!!
    RAH7747
    Gotta agree with those who say that it's not an up-to-par R+ album.. Didnt find anything as catchy as the Reise Reise album for example.. But having said that, most tracks are good at the least.. But i guess I've become more of a metalhead than I was in 2005 which is why I feel this way.. whatever.. still Rammstein rules in industrial/hard rock! oh and kudos to them for using double bass in Rammlied!
    fireyqwerty
    Deviant92 wrote: to fireyqwerty: 'Fruhling' means 'spring'(the season), not 'fountain'.
    thanks i realized a day after i sent it in saturday and kicked myself, like i said im pretty bad at german haha
    RockGuitar92
    I don't get what is so great about this band. I have listened to a good deal of their songs and a lot of them are similar in sound and bore the shit out of me. So please tell me why they are so great.
    Thedarkchild
    CoreysMonster wrote: god, I hate this album. Till, PLEEEEASE stop singing in English! it's painful, even for fellow Germans!
    oh, so true! ich hate it..i'm really disappointed. i like the first three albums but then they went down..the lyrics were becoming weaker with every track (in my opinion, as a german)...the lyrics from the first two albums were great. like "der meister"..
    Harvey_Danger
    RockGuitar92 wrote: I don't get what is so great about this band. I have listened to a good deal of their songs and a lot of them are similar in sound and bore the shit out of me. So please tell me why they are so great.
    Beware any type of "I don't see what's so great about blah blah" argument. These types of people have already made up their mind and have nothing to lose.
    wesselbindt
    I hate the fact that they started singing in English. It's the main reason I can't listen to Emigrate. It's just too painful to hear Germans struggle to sing proper English, and still fail at it. Also, disregarding the vocals, I thought this album was kinda lame in comparison to their other albums, those have some kind of energetic punch to them. This new one simply lacks that energy.
    travislausch
    Reab wrote: Rammstein should keep singing german. The german songs are a lot more fun to listen to.
    What, did they stop singing in German or something?
    CoreysMonster
    god, I hate this album. Till, PLEEEEASE stop singing in English! it's painful, even for fellow Germans!