Live Aus Berlin [DVD] review by Rammstein

• Released: Apr 4, 2000
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 8
Rammstein: Live Aus Berlin [DVD]

Industrial/techno takes a new turn. This DVD was absolutely breathe taking and the sound was crystal clear. The guitars were hard and unforgiving. Flake and his keyboards bore no sign of mercy, Tribal metal beats were belted out at the hands of Christoph and Till's unrelenting, harsh vocals were the icing on the cake. I enjoyed this DVD a lot, and was my first view of Rammstein in action (appart from their apperance at Sydney's Big Day Out). A lot of the the songs sound midly similar, but were all well played.

Content — 8
A 90 minute freakfest of sorts, with people young and old, taking in the sheer spectical that is Rammstein. The set list included some of my favourites such as, Spiel Mit Mir, Du Riechst So Gut and Herzeleid. The DVD also features: Multiple camera angles, a fairly long interview and cover of 'Stripped'. Some of the best songs off their first 2 albums.

Production Quality — 8
Very interesting. Flaming microphones, fire suits, and other pyrotechnics galore. They really put time and effort into making all this happen and it shows. The bass was barely audible except during the bass solos and even then it wasn't that loud which is a bit of a let down. The camera angles were a bit weird, but all up it was pretty good.

Since I've only seen one Rammstein concert I don't have a basis for comparision, but I thought it was extremely well done and though it has minor flaws it still comes up as one of my favourite DVDs. I'm not a fan of metal music and I seem to think of it as just noise, but I like Rammstein because they bring something new to the genre that has never been done before and they aren't afraid to experiment and to speak in their native tounge.