Mutter review by Rammstein

• Released: Apr 2, 2001
Rammstein: Mutter

I loved the heavy guitars in the songs as well as the interesting keyboard sounds. My first impressions of the album were favourable, but i thought some of the songs were too similar although the riffs were very varied. The structure was too samey. But the more I listened to the album the more I began to love it. The strings of the opening song Mein Herz Brennt lulled you into thinking this was a classical song. Then it suddenly hits out with the downtuned heavily distorted guitar riff. The song then became much less a classical tune but a huge metal tune. Mein Herz Brennt is a good example of Rammstein's musicianship. It mixes classical as well as rock genres. In other tracks they mix a more techno/rock approach.The next song Links 2 3 4 was a good example of this. The keyboards give a light techno sound while the guitars bash out a very heavy riff.Soon I began to realise my first preconceptions of the album were wrong. It was infact very varied. You have heavy songs like the brilliant Ich Will and the more gentle songs like the title track Mutter. This album was simply incredible. I just had to listen to it more. Along with the Mutter album was a four track live cd with songs taken from a performance in Hamburg. It let me know how they were like live and I was very pleased. Unlike many vocalists I have heard in live situations the singer Till can carry a tune without any difficulty. And this live performance on the cd shows they can still keep the atmosphere of the songs intact.

I bought this album after seeing the "Sonne" and "Links 2 3 4" videos.

This album is a classic in my opinion, and show Rammstein to be not just a good band but a great one.

If you are interested in Rammstein and like a very heavy sound you should listen to Rammstein's Herzeleid album. Or if you like a more keyboard orientated sound listen to their Sehnsucht album.

And to hear a great live performance my Rammstein but can't see them in concert. Listen to Live Aus Berlin one of Rammstein's live albums.