Mutter review by Rammstein

• Released: Apr 2, 2001
Rammstein: Mutter

I first became a Rammstein fan about five years ago when I heard their title track, "Rammstein," on the Trent Reznor-produced "Lost Highway" Soundtrack. I was totally blow away by the intricate style combinations and instantly bought their first album, "Herzeleid," which I found to be a great album. However, despite glowing reviews, I did not, for some reason, enjoy their follow-up album, "Sehnsucht," as much. Earlier this year, I bought the "Leihspielhaus" DVD which contained all of their videos and more. When I saw the video for "Ich Will," I knew that I had to check out "Mutter." However, when I saw bizarre video for "Sonne" and heard the hauntingly beautiful "Mutter," I found this to be, in my opinion, the best Rammstein album ever! In terms of style, Rammstein combines heavily distorted riffs, such as those you may hear in a nu-metal American band, but add keyboards and intensely aggresive, bassy German vocals to the mix. On "Mutter" they also incorporate a whole orchestra and a chorus. Normally, I don't enjoy big huge productions on a metal/industrial album. However, somehow it works awesomely well with Rammstein.

The lyrics range from intensely angry, nihilistic and aggressive, on songs like the martial "Links 2 3 4," to sad, longing and wonderfully beautiful on "Mutter," to big, and grandiose on "Sonne," which is, in my opinion, the best Rammstein song ever. The singer himself, Till Lindemann, can actually sing and does so on many occaisions on this album, but he can also manage a sort of bassy combination of a grunt, spoken words, and sung lyrics. The latter of which creates an eerie effect in many of Rammsteins songs.

This album pretty much kills just about anything else in Industrial Music or Metal out now. The most impressive songs are the awe-inspiring "Sonne," the beautiful "Mutter," the martial "Links 2 3 4," and the strange "Ich Will." If I lost this album, I would get it again immediately.