Mutter review by Rammstein

• Released: Apr 2, 2001
Rammstein: Mutter

You put the CD in the player, you press play and sit down. A beautiful violin begins playing, a growly rock german voice starts uttering complete nonsense, the violin starts getting backed up by other acoustic instruments while the German is being spouted out louder until one utterence of "Mein Hers Brennt" the rock settles in as the guitars blast your brains out. Does this sound appealing to you? It certainly was for me. I bought this album because of work experience believe it or not. I spent a day with a particular girl and we started chatting about good music such as Papa Roach, Incubus and The Chilis. The next day I found that she had made a nice little compilation of various songs from various CD's. I noticed a Rammstein song, and I was interested because my friends had been saying "They are awesome" while I shook my head in disbelief after seeing disturbing images from one of their videos briefly. I listened to the epic ballad "Sonne" and was instantly hooked. After reasearching the album name I went cash in hand to HMV and bought this album. And it is a gem, possibly the best album I own. 11 songs does not sound like much, but when each song has a grand, booming, powerful, beautiful, horrific, poetic and "wicked awesome" sound such as this, it may as well be 45 songs.

The lyrics are in German. Shock horror. Sadly I dropped German at GCSE's so when listening to the lyrics I go by Year 9 German, which is pretty rusty. But you sing along happily, maybe stuff you would get shot for if you were singing in Germany, but who cares? When you do research into the lyrics on the net you do read some translations, which to shock you at how poetic and unique they are. Not just stuff about the basic rock themes such as love, death, drugs, alcohol, sex. It is more surrounding the themes Brendan Boyd and Anthony Kiedis portray, anything that pops into their head. But they fit the music perfectly, the accent suiting rock very well. It is not surprising the singers mom was a famous poet.

I have not had the oppurtunity to listen to any other albums by Rammstein, but that doesn't mean I won't bother! Compared to other rock artists I own they are definitley heavier than most, but a lot more experimental and unique than anything I own. All the songs on the album are impressive but the first 3 really grab your spine and give it a kick up the rear end, them being "Mein Hers Brennt," "Links 2 3 4" and "Sonne." Not forgetting the song "Mutter," a real possible tear jerker for some reason. I love the fact it goes across the board, it is powerful in it's guitar playing, but no matter how boring we think it is, the classical music element gives it a bigger feel, Evanessence is a good example of how it is used in Mutter. If it was stolen from me, I would get a hammer and run after the thief, but if I smashed the CD insted of his head, I would buy it straight away. No sweat. Buy it now!

Wahrheit Lied
    This so-called "Hitler" song IS NOT BY RAMMSTEIN. All of the official releases of the band are on the official site. How many times must we all go through this: THE MEMBERS OF RAMMSTEIN ARE NOT NAZIS! It is the SONNE INSTRUMENTAL with ANOTHER PERSON (no member of RAMMSTEIN)trying to mimic Till's singing style, which he fails horribly at. Ahhh, sorry had to get that off of my chest. On topic: Rammstein is amazing. They combine heavy guitar riffs, catchy keyboard melodies and Till's awesome theatrical vocals to form amazing music. Any fan of rock/industrial should definitely check them out...Although the first three albums lean more towards Industrail I find, the newst two seem to be a bit more "serious"...But they're still great! Wahrheit Lied
    Pavura
    just in case anyone is wondering what the songs mean: Mein Herz Brennt: My Heart Burns. A song about the chidlren's show "Das Sandmannchen" (The Sandman) and even if the song vibe doesnt go with the lyrics, its pretty evil. Links 2 3 4: Left 2 3 4. A military chant song.Simple and powerful. Sonne: Sun. Ich Will: I Want. This song's meaning isnt clear but it seems to be just to pump up crowds and get out anger. Feuer Frei!: Fire At Will!. Mutter: Mother. A song about being a baby without a mother. it describes things things such as not having a navel. Spieluhr: Music Box. This song is about a girl in a coma they think is dead and so they bury her with her favorite music box. Zwitter: Hermaphrodite. Rein Raus. In Out. Basically a sex song. classic rammstein. Adios: Goodbye (spanish). A song about someone leaving. Nebel: Mist. A rare slow song about two lovers and 'the last kiss he never tasted'
    majicman
    Originally Ilistened to things like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers but when I first heard the song Benzin I knew I had to hear more. The first thing I did was go out and buy this album and now I cant stop listening to it. This band has made me love hard rock. I just cant say enough.
    Prowler15
    Well, my friend is a major fan of WW2 and he looked up some Hitler songs on Limewire and he found a very different and creepy version of Sonne...it was Till alright saying HAIL ADOLF HITLER...if you guys wanna hear the song, it's on my myspace...theres this one part were theres a Hitler speech and hes all like SEIG HEIL and well here it yourselves! www.myspace.com/sevenheavenbar