Mutter Review

artist: Rammstein date: 07/18/2003 category: compact discs
Rammstein: Mutter
Released: Apr 3, 2001
Genre: Rock
Tones: Hostile, Angry, Brooding, Aggressive, Thuggish, Malevolent, Nihilistic, Gloomy, Ominous, Menacing
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.7
 9.8
 9.5
 1,937
Mutter Featured review by: UG Team, on july 18, 2003

Sound: I loved the heavy guitars in the songs as well as the interesting keyboard sounds. My first impressions of the album were favourable, but i thought some of the songs were too similar although the riffs were very varied. The structure was too samey. But the more I listened to the album the more I began to love it. The strings of the opening song Mein Herz Brennt lulled you into thinking this was a classical song. Then it suddenly hits out with the downtuned heavily distorted guitar riff. The song then became much less a classical tune but a huge metal tune. Mein Herz Brennt is a good example of Rammstein's musicianship. It mixes classical as well as rock genres. In other tracks they mix a more techno/rock approach.The next song Links 2 3 4 was a good example of this. The keyboards give a light techno sound while the guitars bash out a very heavy riff.Soon I began to realise my first preconceptions of the album were wrong. It was infact very varied. You have heavy songs like the brilliant Ich Will and the more gentle songs like the title track Mutter. This album was simply incredible. I just had to listen to it more. Along with the Mutter album was a four track live cd with songs taken from a performance in Hamburg. It let me know how they were like live and I was very pleased. Unlike many vocalists I have heard in live situations the singer Till can carry a tune without any difficulty. And this live performance on the cd shows they can still keep the atmosphere of the songs intact. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this album after seeing the "Sonne" and "Links 2 3 4" videos.

This album is a classic in my opinion, and show Rammstein to be not just a good band but a great one.

If you are interested in Rammstein and like a very heavy sound you should listen to Rammstein's Herzeleid album. Or if you like a more keyboard orientated sound listen to their Sehnsucht album.

And to hear a great live performance my Rammstein but can't see them in concert. Listen to Live Aus Berlin one of Rammstein's live albums. // 10

Mutter Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 24, 2004

Sound: The sounds you'll hear on this album will definitely make you go 'Wow! This stuff is f**king awesome'. This is more than your typical industrial/metal album, it has other wondeful elements such as violins, string arrangements, classical music-styled choir singing in the background, electronic sounds that all mix up with Rammstein's signature heavy guitar riffs and haunting piano keys- thus producing a sound that is guaranteed to blow you away. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are dark and angry, as evident when they are translated in English; but this is also recognizable just by the the singer's hauntingly aggressive tone. Personal relationships and human emotions are a visible theme on the songs, which gives them even more meaning. The lyrics combined with the heavy yet melodic music again result in a collection of songs that is pure ear candy. Once you're hooked, prepare for hours of listening pleasure. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is 100% worth buying, and is a must-have for any fan of heavy music. All 11 tracks are outstanding: the best 5 are "Mein Herz Brennt", "Ich Will", "Mutter", "Spieluhr" and of course, the song that promises to capture one's deep awe and admiration, the godly "Sonne". In closing, there is only one regret I have about getting this CD - that I didn't get it earlier. :) // 10

Mutter Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 16, 2004

Sound: I first became a Rammstein fan about five years ago when I heard their title track, "Rammstein," on the Trent Reznor-produced "Lost Highway" Soundtrack. I was totally blow away by the intricate style combinations and instantly bought their first album, "Herzeleid," which I found to be a great album. However, despite glowing reviews, I did not, for some reason, enjoy their follow-up album, "Sehnsucht," as much. Earlier this year, I bought the "Leihspielhaus" DVD which contained all of their videos and more. When I saw the video for "Ich Will," I knew that I had to check out "Mutter." However, when I saw bizarre video for "Sonne" and heard the hauntingly beautiful "Mutter," I found this to be, in my opinion, the best Rammstein album ever! In terms of style, Rammstein combines heavily distorted riffs, such as those you may hear in a nu-metal American band, but add keyboards and intensely aggresive, bassy German vocals to the mix. On "Mutter" they also incorporate a whole orchestra and a chorus. Normally, I don't enjoy big huge productions on a metal/industrial album. However, somehow it works awesomely well with Rammstein. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics range from intensely angry, nihilistic and aggressive, on songs like the martial "Links 2 3 4," to sad, longing and wonderfully beautiful on "Mutter," to big, and grandiose on "Sonne," which is, in my opinion, the best Rammstein song ever. The singer himself, Till Lindemann, can actually sing and does so on many occaisions on this album, but he can also manage a sort of bassy combination of a grunt, spoken words, and sung lyrics. The latter of which creates an eerie effect in many of Rammsteins songs. // 10

Overall Impression: This album pretty much kills just about anything else in Industrial Music or Metal out now. The most impressive songs are the awe-inspiring "Sonne," the beautiful "Mutter," the martial "Links 2 3 4," and the strange "Ich Will." If I lost this album, I would get it again immediately. // 10

Mutter Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2005

Sound: You put the CD in the player, you press play and sit down. A beautiful violin begins playing, a growly rock german voice starts uttering complete nonsense, the violin starts getting backed up by other acoustic instruments while the German is being spouted out louder until one utterence of "Mein Hers Brennt" the rock settles in as the guitars blast your brains out. Does this sound appealing to you? It certainly was for me. I bought this album because of work experience believe it or not. I spent a day with a particular girl and we started chatting about good music such as Papa Roach, Incubus and The Chilis. The next day I found that she had made a nice little compilation of various songs from various CD's. I noticed a Rammstein song, and I was interested because my friends had been saying "They are awesome" while I shook my head in disbelief after seeing disturbing images from one of their videos briefly. I listened to the epic ballad "Sonne" and was instantly hooked. After reasearching the album name I went cash in hand to HMV and bought this album. And it is a gem, possibly the best album I own. 11 songs does not sound like much, but when each song has a grand, booming, powerful, beautiful, horrific, poetic and "wicked awesome" sound such as this, it may as well be 45 songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are in German. Shock horror. Sadly I dropped German at GCSE's so when listening to the lyrics I go by Year 9 German, which is pretty rusty. But you sing along happily, maybe stuff you would get shot for if you were singing in Germany, but who cares? When you do research into the lyrics on the net you do read some translations, which to shock you at how poetic and unique they are. Not just stuff about the basic rock themes such as love, death, drugs, alcohol, sex. It is more surrounding the themes Brendan Boyd and Anthony Kiedis portray, anything that pops into their head. But they fit the music perfectly, the accent suiting rock very well. It is not surprising the singers mom was a famous poet. // 10

Overall Impression: I have not had the oppurtunity to listen to any other albums by Rammstein, but that doesn't mean I won't bother! Compared to other rock artists I own they are definitley heavier than most, but a lot more experimental and unique than anything I own. All the songs on the album are impressive but the first 3 really grab your spine and give it a kick up the rear end, them being "Mein Hers Brennt," "Links 2 3 4" and "Sonne." Not forgetting the song "Mutter," a real possible tear jerker for some reason. I love the fact it goes across the board, it is powerful in it's guitar playing, but no matter how boring we think it is, the classical music element gives it a bigger feel, Evanessence is a good example of how it is used in Mutter. If it was stolen from me, I would get a hammer and run after the thief, but if I smashed the CD insted of his head, I would buy it straight away. No sweat. Buy it now! // 10

Mutter Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 11, 2008

Sound: In this amazing album, the guitars are more deeper and more hard rock sounding that their previous album Sehnsucht, which goes for more of a metal sounding. All I can really say is that the guitar, string Composition, really Drag you into this album, and it's just worth it. Mein Herz Brennt starts off beautifully with slow violins along with Till Lindermann's amazing vocals. At most one of the most beautifully done songs on this album is Sonne, I was just amazed at this song and how Till's voice and drums can provide such a groove, and the chorus was very catchy, and what made it great was when they put female harmonies, which I thought was great. // 10

Lyrics: In this album, I think they have taken a more mature leap into they lyrics. But they still talk about sexual things in their songs, and that's typical Rammstein. Till changes his voice throughout the album, he can go softly, like in Mutter, Nebel, and Mein Herz Brennt; and he can make it rough sounding for songs like Feuer Frei, Zwitter, and Ich Will. // 10

Overall Impression: When I first got into Rammstein, I bought this album, and Sehnsucht, and I dare say that Mutter was just a more complex album than Sehnsucht was. But that doesn't mean that Sehnsucht wasn't a good album, it was. Rammstein is just an amazing band, and to be honest they really don't get as much credit as they deserve. Go pick this album up, it is just simply stunning. My favorite songs on this album would have to be all of them, you really can't pick and choose on this one. // 10

Mutter Reviewed by: iron_mason, on july 21, 2004

Sound: The typical rammstein style of creating the tune with keyboard and using the guitar to help with the rythmic side of the song which, I think, works great, it's impossible not to at least nod your head to the music. // 10

Lyrics: Out of interest I looked at the song names on a translator, they sounded pretty cool, but of course the lyrics in the song I dont have a clue about. The singer normally sings in a monotone and acts more as a 2nd guitar, and what the singer normally does, in this, is done usually by the keyboard or the guitar, but thats a good thing. // 6

Overall Impression: I thought this album is the most consistant album I've ever heard, and it got me into euro metal. As it is a very consistant album it's hard to pick out the best ones, but I would say, "Mein Herz Brennt," "Links 2 3 4," and "Ich Will" are the highlights of the album. If I lost this album I would definately get it again. I would recommend this to all metal fans. // 10

Comments