Rosenrot review by Rammstein

• Released: Nov 17, 2005
Rammstein: Rosenrot

Oh my dear Lord. It's Rammstein. The amazing Ramming Stone, or for a clearer translation - Battering Ram. Their sound is unique. No, beyond unique. There is no American band that can be, or should be, compared to Rammstein. With their industrial sound, they've set the standard in my book for foreign music. Doktor Flake Lorenz and his keyboard adds an almost eerie effect to Rose-Red, as he does always. The guitars are superb, the drums are amazing, and, of course, Till Lindemann's unique voice finishes off this excellent 6-way pleasure fest.

Rammstein usually gets their song ideas from German poetry (an example would be Hilf Mir and Rosenrot). Here's a break down of the songs: 01. Benzin (Petrol) - Rammstein's first amazing track of the CD. This is an excellent omen of what's to come. Benzin, German for petrol (gasoline), is in a way expressing America's dependance on oil. "It flows through my veins, it sleeps in my tears, it leaks from my ears, hearts and kidneys are motors. Gasoline." 02. Mann Gegen Mann (Man Against Man) - this song is somewhat iffy. Somewhat suggestive lyrics. Not sexually, but they use slang words for homosexuals. Which is basically what the song is about. It's a good song, but I don't totally agree with the fact they use the word "Schwuler" which means faggot. 03. Rosenrot (Rose Red) - based off of a German poem. A very good song. Till's voice is complimented by a simple bass lead which the guitars accompany in sync during the chorus. 04. Spring (Jump) - I love this song. It's about a man who is on a bridge with his arms out and he's looking into the evening sky. But people assume he is going to jump, hence the song name. They won't let him come down and they shout "Jump! Redeem me! Don't disappoint me!" So the Till, as the narrator, sneaks on the bridge and kicks the man off. He "redeemed him." Somewhat disturbing, but very good. 05. Wo Bist Du? (Where Are You?) - another good song. Although it's somewhat ambiguous. "I love you. I love you not. I love you no more." But that's just an idea of the translation. The lyrics themselves are very good, a very nice song. 06. Stirb Nicht Vor Mir (Don't Die Before I Do) - a love song of sorts. Till's voice is complimented by an American's. I believe it's Victoria Spiteri. I could be wrong, but she's from Texas Appears. It's a very nice mix, but Rammstein doesn't like it. Excellent music, excellent vocal, excellent lyrics, that makes an excellent song. 07. Zerstoren (Destroy) - another good song! Good lyrics, and a nice end verse. It's somewhat a weird song. Till is talking about how he must destroy, but only if it doesn't belong to him, obviously. Then toward the end is the weird part, it ends like a fairy tale. 08. Hilf Mir (Help Me) - based off of a German poem, the song is about young person who is left alone. He/she finds a box of matches "Oh, I said, how pretty and nice. That must be a splendid toy. I strike a match, as mother often did." But, if you play with fire, you get burned. His/her clothes catch on fire, and is burned into nothing. 09. Te Quiero Puta! (I Love You Whore!) - not my favorite song. Not at all. It's average, kind of a waste of time in my opinion. I dunno, it's kind of offensive, kind of a dumb... This is why the lyrics get a 9, and not a 10. 10. Feuer Und Wasser (Fire And Water) - love, is how I take it. The narrator in this song loves a woman. But she doesn't notice him. "She swims by, and doesn't notice me. I am her shadow. She stands in the light." He is fire, she was water. He is in flames, and is burned in the water. 11. Ein Lied (A Song) - my favorite song, by far. Just a good way to end the CD. It's sort of them posing as the ultimate musicians. I'm not sure how to sum up this song, it is just the best song, ever. "We were born for music. We are servants of your ears. Whenever you're sad, we play for you."

This isn't Rammstein's best CD. I think Herzeleid is their best. But this isn't bad. It's worth a buy, definately. The music is as hard as it used to be, but Rammstein's unique sound still shines through. If this CD was stolen, I'd buy another. Definately I would. This is an unbelievable addition to the Rammstein collection. If you're a fan of Rammstein, buy it. If you're not, buy it. This is a CD for one and all.