Rosenrot Review

9.4
 8.8
 1,263
Rosenrot Reviewed by: nineinch9, on october 29, 2005

Sound: Rammstein completely shrug off any "German Metal" cliches with their new effort Rosenrot. Rosenrot, which translated means Rose Red, is basically Reise Reise pt. 2, which should come as no surprise to fans, since it's made up of some tracks that were cut from Reise, Reise. That being said, tracks that weren't good enough for one album put in another usually doesn't spell anything good but not in the case of this album, simply taking these tracks and expanding on them. No track on this album doesn't sound epic. Rammstein has a gift for taking these songs and turning them from three chord peices into larger then life masterpeices. Not to mention they bring in a whole new set of influences to enrich this album. From Mexican horns to Sharleen Spiteri in a song that sounds like it could overthrow radio stations near you, nothing on this album is less then amazing. Some of these new addons to Rammstein's creative drive might scare hardcore fans, understandably, but for a band ever growing, trying to top Du Hast would have resulted in the bands demise year's ago. // 10

Lyrics: I guess being more fluent in German then I am would have help in overall appreciation for the lyrics, but hell if they don't make the words sound damn cool. The german language itself is probably alot harder then most to make work musically but Rammstein shows no problem in intergrating it in their music. What a person can take away if they don't know the language may be a little biast at best to how they perceive it, kudos to Rammstein for a least not making the words sound stunted to the music itself. // 9

Overall Impression: Rosenrot is, in a way, what I expected. People who have heard Reise, Reise will already know what to expect, but people who still clinge to the Du Hast, crunching guitar days of this band probably won't respond well. Even Rosenrot's cover sets it up for an epic feel, and the album itself delivers on that promise. Every song has something to offer and nothing disapoints. // 10

Rosenrot Reviewed by: SOADRox, on february 02, 2006

Sound: Oh my dear Lord. It's Rammstein. The amazing Ramming Stone, or for a clearer translation - Battering Ram. Their sound is unique. No, beyond unique. There is no American band that can be, or should be, compared to Rammstein. With their industrial sound, they've set the standard in my book for foreign music. Doktor Flake Lorenz and his keyboard adds an almost eerie effect to Rose-Red, as he does always. The guitars are superb, the drums are amazing, and, of course, Till Lindemann's unique voice finishes off this excellent 6-way pleasure fest. // 10

Lyrics: Rammstein usually gets their song ideas from German poetry (an example would be Hilf Mir and Rosenrot). Here's a break down of the songs: 01. Benzin (Petrol) - Rammstein's first amazing track of the CD. This is an excellent omen of what's to come. Benzin, German for petrol (gasoline), is in a way expressing America's dependance on oil. "It flows through my veins, it sleeps in my tears, it leaks from my ears, hearts and kidneys are motors. Gasoline." 02. Mann Gegen Mann (Man Against Man) - this song is somewhat iffy. Somewhat suggestive lyrics. Not sexually, but they use slang words for homosexuals. Which is basically what the song is about. It's a good song, but I don't totally agree with the fact they use the word "Schwuler" which means faggot. 03. Rosenrot (Rose Red) - based off of a German poem. A very good song. Till's voice is complimented by a simple bass lead which the guitars accompany in sync during the chorus. 04. Spring (Jump) - I love this song. It's about a man who is on a bridge with his arms out and he's looking into the evening sky. But people assume he is going to jump, hence the song name. They won't let him come down and they shout "Jump! Redeem me! Don't disappoint me!" So the Till, as the narrator, sneaks on the bridge and kicks the man off. He "redeemed him." Somewhat disturbing, but very good. 05. Wo Bist Du? (Where Are You?) - another good song. Although it's somewhat ambiguous. "I love you. I love you not. I love you no more." But that's just an idea of the translation. The lyrics themselves are very good, a very nice song. 06. Stirb Nicht Vor Mir (Don't Die Before I Do) - a love song of sorts. Till's voice is complimented by an American's. I believe it's Victoria Spiteri. I could be wrong, but she's from Texas Appears. It's a very nice mix, but Rammstein doesn't like it. Excellent music, excellent vocal, excellent lyrics, that makes an excellent song. 07. Zerstoren (Destroy) - another good song! Good lyrics, and a nice end verse. It's somewhat a weird song. Till is talking about how he must destroy, but only if it doesn't belong to him, obviously. Then toward the end is the weird part, it ends like a fairy tale. 08. Hilf Mir (Help Me) - based off of a German poem, the song is about young person who is left alone. He/she finds a box of matches "Oh, I said, how pretty and nice. That must be a splendid toy. I strike a match, as mother often did." But, if you play with fire, you get burned. His/her clothes catch on fire, and is burned into nothing. 09. Te Quiero Puta! (I Love You Whore!) - not my favorite song. Not at all. It's average, kind of a waste of time in my opinion. I dunno, it's kind of offensive, kind of a dumb... This is why the lyrics get a 9, and not a 10. 10. Feuer Und Wasser (Fire And Water) - love, is how I take it. The narrator in this song loves a woman. But she doesn't notice him. "She swims by, and doesn't notice me. I am her shadow. She stands in the light." He is fire, she was water. He is in flames, and is burned in the water. 11. Ein Lied (A Song) - my favorite song, by far. Just a good way to end the CD. It's sort of them posing as the ultimate musicians. I'm not sure how to sum up this song, it is just the best song, ever. "We were born for music. We are servants of your ears. Whenever you're sad, we play for you." // 9

Overall Impression: This isn't Rammstein's best CD. I think Herzeleid is their best. But this isn't bad. It's worth a buy, definately. The music is as hard as it used to be, but Rammstein's unique sound still shines through. If this CD was stolen, I'd buy another. Definately I would. This is an unbelievable addition to the Rammstein collection. If you're a fan of Rammstein, buy it. If you're not, buy it. This is a CD for one and all. // 10

Rosenrot Reviewed by: Psymon-Sly, on november 10, 2005

Sound: This album certainly has the sound to be seen as a classic Rammstein album. It is very heavy at parts, yet also has its slower sides. The song Te Quiero Puta! (I Love You, Whore!) is the first song that they have sung in Spanish and the contrast with Till Lindemann's very heavy voice and the trumpets and mexican music in the background. The sound does not disappoint if you liked the sound of Reise, Reise. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very heavy in Rosenrot. As mentioned before, there is the first Spanish song, some of the lyrics (in English) include: - Between your legs I'm going to cry I'm going to be happy and sad. The song Stirb Nicht Vor Mir (Don't Die Before I Do) features the soft vocals of Sharleen Spiteri of Texas. Again, another strong contrast, and again, it works well. // 8

Overall Impression: If you liked Reise, Reise, you will love this. It is typical Rammstein. They never fail to produce the goods and this album is no exception. Rosenrot does not fail to please with its strong sound and "togetherness." // 9

Rosenrot Reviewed by: regenhead, on november 28, 2005

Sound: Rammstein returns after only one year with another experimental album. Rosenrot follows in the footsteps of Reise, Reise, using different sound structures and more variation than their earlier efforts. As a whole, the album is a lot softer than their other work, even Reise, Reise. 01. Benzin - this song has a catchy tune during the intro and verses, and then explodes with full grinding guitars and the guttural repetition of "Benzin" by Till Lindemann, the singer. 02. Mann Gegen Mann - similar to Benzin, in that it starts with a relatively simple melody, this time provided by the drums and bass. The guitars join in for the verses, then really start going during another guttural chorus. 03. Rosenrot - very simple sound that works extremely well. The bass starts out with a short intro, and is joined simultaneously by the drums and vocals. This continues throughout the verses and the pre-chorus. The guitars only join in for the chorus. The vocals are definitely the focus of the song. 04. Spring - this begins with just the vocals, and builds up until it has a very heavy, intentional, hard quality, and is almost theatrical. 05. Wo Bist Du - the intro is either an oboe or a flute (I've heard people call it both) and is joined by the full group of instruments, but still retains a soft quality that is enforced by the almost crooning chorus of "Wo bist du?" The song also has an epic quality. 06. Stirb Nicht Vor Mir (Don't Die Before I Do) - this song was very unexpected from Rammstein. There is no distortion on the guitars, and has a major chunk of the vocals done by Sharleen Spiteri of Texas, which is on a completely different level than Till Lindemann's low voice. After a few listens, it becomes quite a beautiful song, and would definitely be a huge single, as it attracts the alternative rock and maybe even some pop fans. 07. Zerstoeren - this song is a nice little angry remedy for any shock that may have developed from listening to Stirb Nicht Vor Mir. This is a fast, hard, distorted song, and is one of the best on the album. It really has to be listened to to be appreciated. 08. Hilf Mir - a truly epic song, starts off early with all of the instruments, and has a string background to enhance its quality. The tone of the song remains the same throughout, but the pace changes for short periods of time, and while sometimes this can make a song sound uneven (Morgenstern on Reise, Reise), it works exceptionally well for this song. Another good idea was to have layered vocals at different paces during the chorus. 09. Te Quiero Puta! - this song is absolutely hilarious. It combines the traditional Rammstein sound with a mariachi band, and it is entirely in Spanish. Another song that needs to be heard to be fully appreciated. 10. Feuer Und Wasser - this is a relatively long song, and feels it. The chorus has an epic quality, but the buildup to it is way too long. 11. Ein Lied - a unexpectedly boring song. Very soft, with no percussion, and is essentially just soft singing which borders on whispering. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics have lots of double meanings and metaphors, but they cannot be understood by non-german speakers. However, a benefit of not being able to understand the lyrics means that they meld in with the rest of the song, creating just another layer of music. Sometimes lyrics can be distracting or don't really fit the music, but this does not come into effect here. Till Lindemann has a very low voice, and it is complemented well by the female singers on Stirb Nicht Vor Mir and Te Quiero Puta! // 10

Overall Impression: The music is as good or better than their other albums, but I didn't enjoy it as much. It is a little too uneven, and there are a few songs that I skip occasionally, which didn't happen on their last two albums, Reise, Reise and Mutter. It is a good album to cross over to other fans who generally don't like the really hard metal that was on their earlier albums, and as I said before, the song Stirb Nicht Vor Mir could be a huge hit worldwide, and the single Rosenrot could do very well on rock stations. // 8

Rosenrot Reviewed by: Rover Hendrix, on february 02, 2006

Sound: Rammstein follow up to 2004's Reise Reise with this monster of an album. This is certainly their most adventurous and experimental work so far, but Rammstein have declared themselves the biggest metal band in europe, if not the world, with this new album. Such simplicity and brilliance in metal has not been seen since System Of A Down's "Toxicity." Rammtein have gone from strength to strength, and this new offering shows that exactly. Every song here is epic, anthemic and impressively evil. So what if you cant understand what the singer is saying? It doesnt matter. Somehow, their riffs cut to the fore brilliantly, the bass is much more dominant than their other albums, and the drums are very well mixed, making Metallica's pathetic attempt of nu-metal, St. Anger, sound even worse. Ones to hear: Benzin, Mann Gagen Mann, Rosenrot, Zestoeren. // 10

Lyrics: It's difficylt to review these, not knowing german, but I believe that Rammstein's language usage is excellent. It may make as much sense to me as nano-technology, but I'm sure theyre as good as they sound. Rosenrot is the standout song for its sheer guttaral mayhem. Need more? Check out soungs like Feuer & Wasser and Benzin, or the hilarious Ti Quero Puta! which is in spanish. Top knotch stuff! // 10

Overall Impression: Rammstein have defined metal for the 21st century again. Total Guitar have dismissed this work of musical art, saying that it is not as good as Reise Reise. In fact, after listening to Rosenrot, the former sounds almost weedy when you hear it. Rammstein have ditched the effects, and only put them in when theyre needed for this record. Their simple riffs shake off your eardrums, and you feel weak after listening, knowing that your ears have experienced something phenominal. // 10

Comments