Sehnsucht review by Rammstein

• Released: Aug 25, 1997
Rammstein: Sehnsucht

Odd that no one reviewed this CD yet. Anyway, Rammstein's follow up to Herzeleid. This CD is. Well, a whole new world. Till no longer just "speaks" the lyrics. He sings. Somewhat sings, he still talks mostly, but he is operatic during some choruses. It's a nice change. While most bands tend to soften up as they go along, Rammstein keeps their amazing Industrial sound. Nothing has changed for the worse.

Well, as I always do, I'll break down each song for you, so that you can have a better understanding of the lyrical genius behind this album: 01. Sehnsucht (Longing) - starting with what sounds to me like an Arabic chant, shall we say, this track is one that I love to listen to and never gets old. Till keeps his simple "talking" over the music, but somehow it works here. His voice isn't as gruff, but he still sounds authoritive. This is somewhat sexual sounding: "Between your long legs I seek the sand from last year. But there is no more sand there." Might just be me, though. 02. Engel (Angel) - Bobolina accompanies Till on this track. Bobolina has a very beautiful voice. It's an odd mix, Till's rough, deep voice, with Bobolina's delicate, beautiful voice, but they go together well. The music is fairly simle on this track, just really four notes on one string, but it works. 03. Tier (Animal) - this is another kind of iffy song. "He mates with his own flesh and blood." Incest, basically. But it's a good song all together. Doktor Flake Lorenz's keyboard is very, very, very good on this track. It starts with a good acoustic intro, a drum center, and then electric. I love it! 04. Bestrafe Mich (Punish Me) - if you ever happen to catch the live performance of this, it is a real good one. Till whips himself (look at the title of the song) and the music ain't half bad either! Till has a real good lung capacity, which is amazing since he was smoking during the making of this CD. Listen to the song and you'll see what I mean. 05. Du Hast (You Have) - it means You Have, not You Hate. See, German is ambiguous. "Hast" (notice the one 's') means "have." "Hasst" (notice the two 's') means hate. This song is a pun on wedding-vows, sort of. They ask "Do you want to stay true to her forever?" Instead of saying yes, Till says "No!" This is the song that made Rammstein famous in America. I still remember listening to this on MTV back in the day, looking onward in awe at the excellent video. 06. Buch Dich (Bend Down) - this one is blatantly sexual. During the live performance Till pulls down his pants to reveal a custard squirting dildo. This got them arrested is West Chester in North Eastern America. Anyway, onto the song. Till's voice is gutteral again, and the intro music is just drums. Rough drums. Rough music, rough vocals, and sexual lyrics. It actually all adds up to a kick-butt song! 07. Spiel Mit Mir (Play With Me) - yet another good song. Deceptively soft. "We share a room and a bed. Brother dear, come be so kind. Brother dear, come hold me close." is what Till whispers, then the music cuts and guitars come in. Once again, the gutteral Till makes an appearance here. A really cool song. 08. Klavier (Piano) - this is my favorite track off the CD. It's not rough, but not soft. It's the perfect middle. It's got eerie lyrics, I guess I could say. Nothing real weird, but it's not totally clear either. It's about a girl locked behind a door with only a piano. Till finds her, and her playing takes away his breath away. He ends up falling in love with her, but then her parents find out that he found her. All hell breaks loose, of course. That's how I take it, but I could be wrong. 09. Alter Mann (Old Man) - it's an okay track. It doesn't really add a whole lot to the CD, but it's still a good song. This is yet another song I don't totally understand, but it is still a work of art in my opinion. Till's voice is gruff, not as gruff as on Herzeleid, but gruff enough for my taste! It's a simple song. 10. Eifersucht (Jealousy) - this is another one of my favorites. "Am I more beautiful? Then cut up my face." It's about jealousy, obviously. It's kind of funny in one spot: "Do I have your wife? Then kill me and eat me up completely. But lick up the plate." Kind of funny how he's worried about someone licking up the plate. It's a rocking song, with a nice laugh during the chorus. 11. Kuss Mich (Fellfrosch) (Kiss Me [Fur Frog]) - this is a good song. Really rockin' guitars. It is somewhat sexual. "She holds completely still, because she likes to be fingered." "Her tongue inside the man." Kind of weird. Anywho, it's a really cool song. What strikes me as odd is "Fellfrosch" is never said during the song. It might just be me, but usually the title of a song is used during the song. 12. Stripped (hidden track) - this is a hidden track. Not all copies have this, but some do. Mine does, anyway. It's a really amazing song! Till sings in English. The video to this song is somewhat weird, it's done with Greek games. Topless women (not in a sexual way) are present, and all the band members are virtually naked. It's historically accurate, but I could have lived without seeing Christoph "Doom" Schneider's but anyway, it's an excellent song.

Comparing this CD to Rammstein's previous one (Herzeleid) would be unfair. Herzeleid is their best. But, overall out of their five, this is ranked 2 on my list. "Stripped" alone would be reason enough to buy this CD. But, "Klavier," "Eifersucht" and "Spiel Mit Mir" are good additions for reasons. Rammstein is the standard for all foreign industrial music in my book. Nothing and no one can compare. There is nothing to hate here, and if I ever lost this I'd be running to the store to buy another.

rammsteinrob
    Totally agree, powerfull piece of work. Rammstein don't take an approach where they go 'let's make up any random rubbish and make up some lyrics which mean nothing'. If you translate and and find out meanings it's pretty powerfull stuff. Guitar wise simple but really cool, proves that it doesn't have to be hard to sound amazing. Highly recommend this and totally agree with you Great review.
    PlayMadness
    Let me see if I can clear up some of the meanings for you (a class of mine in college examined a lot of Rammstein). Sehnsucht: "The finger slips to Mexico, but is lost in the ocean, longing is so cruel." It is obviously about a man who wants to become sexually involved with a woman, but is unable (the above is a metaphor for fingering). Engel: A fairly straightforward song, probably spoken between a child and it's mother. The child wonders why it cannot see angels in the sky, though Christianity says that angels go to the sky. The child then says that he thinks angels in Heaven, since no one can see them, must be lonely and sad. He says "Gott wei ich will kein Engel sein," "God knows I don't want to be an angel when I die." Tier: Indeed, about a woman talking about how her father raped her as a child, saying "Du bist ein Tier," or "you are an animal." Bestrafe Mich: A man is a masochist, and he begs God to punish him more than he has. Straightforward. "The Lord gives, the Lord takes." Du Hast: Ambiguous in the beginning, but it does reference the German wedding vows, to which Till responds "no." Buch Dich: Straightforward S&M bondage rape. Spiel Mit Mir: Literally "Play With Me," it's a story of two brothers who have incest relations. Klavier: It's about a girl who is forced to play the piano and perform, though she doesn't want to. Her father also abuses her: "ich goss ihr Blut, ins Feuer meiner Wut, ich verschloss die Tr, man fragte nach ihr," "Into her blood, I poured the fire of my rage, I locked the door, they asked for her." Alter Mann: A man finds an elderly man staring into a pool. When he disturbs the mirror-like surface, the man smooths it out with a fan, and hands the fan to the man, saying that he must stare into the pool. In the end, it's a statement on the cruelty of life, expressed in the chorus. Eifersucht: Jealousy. It doesn't get a lot more obvious than that. Kuss mich: A woman who desires oral sex, but hates the taste of it. I hope that cleared it up a little. Great review!
    SEbI666
    because im german i love this band .... but eisregen is better i dont know where you find any prog metal in this album but still great work from german people!
    TeleRevan
    this album changed my life and gave me the life i needed to actualy learn to play thank you rammstein for this album my all time fav