Raw [DVD] review by Ramones

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 8
Ramones: Raw [DVD]

This all-encompassing video scrapbook contains rare footage spanning the Ramones history from 1979 to 1996. The definitive Ramones DVD containing over 5 hours of material. Mixing home video footage, professionally shot segments, some old archival material and a newly unearthed broadcast from Italy, the mixed media menagerie of Raw means that the visual elements here are rather unpredictable. It is sometimes hard to hear what the guys are saying as fans scream, phones ring, hotel employees banter back and forth and other ambient intrusions interrupt their conversations. Still, for basically a handheld happenstance, Ramones: Raw has some nice clarity.

Content — 8
Most of the content is previously unreleased and exclusively to this DVD, so the die-hard fans will definitely be delighted. Most of you will be amazed by the reaction of their fans, chasing them around the venues and towns that they were visiting whilst on tour. Raw includes vintage concert footage professionally shot on film in 1980, archived and nearly forgotten for over 20 years, plus countless memorable moments from the band's illustrious career, rare TV appearances, backstage footage and a plethora of home video from the Ramones personal archives. Highlights include the entire "Fifth Ramone" skits from USA Network's Up All Night, featuring a very funny Gilbert Gottfried interacting with the band. This is a very nice collection of clips, held together by a consistently acceptable image. While this is not some sort of artistic testament to the band, the print here is very nice. The DVD also contains a 4-page booklet with the introduction and a list of scene selections and Bonus Material. The songs included: 01. Blizkrieg Bop 02. Teenage Lobotomy 03. Today Your Love Tomorrow The World 04. Rockaway Beach 05. Touring 06. Apeman Hop 07. 53rd And 3rd 08. Cretin Hop 09. I Wanna Be Sedated 10. I Don't Want You 11. Judy Is A Punk 12. I Can't Make It On Time 13. Remember Rock And Roll Radio 14. I Just Wanna Have Something To Do 15. Rock And Roll Radio 16. Pinhead 17. Take It As It Comes 18. She's The One 19. Sheena Is A Punk Rocker 20. I Don't Want To Grow Up 21. R.A.M.O.N.E.S.

Production Quality — 8
For the most part, the 1.33:1 full screen presentation is clean, clear, offered with nice color correction and missing many of the defects that render low budget pictures pathetic. Most of it is video taken with a Hi-8 camera on the road shot by Marky Ramone, you know how unprofessional videos look. In the menu screen you can choose from program start which contains 47 chapters.

This DVD captures the Ramones at their best, both musically as a band and with each other as people. This is a spellbinding work that occasionally becomes too painful to endure, as one of the top three musical acts of all time are treated like paupers at the table of pop culture. If you are a fan or you just want to explore the Ramones phenomenon, you need to check this DVD out.

downwithemo
    I like it but I wish i bought End Of The Centary. There is no intveiws on this one.