The Ramones review by Ramones

Ramones: The Ramones

This is the Ramones' debut album, released in 1976. This was, according to Joe Strummer, the album that inspired the entire '70s UK punk scene including guys like Sex Pistols, The Clash, etc. Sound wise, very hard-hitting. Varied, from the driving drums on "53rd And 3rd", to the fantastic punk harmony on "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue," to the calm, melodious "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend." The best type of Ramones music, and an essential buy for every Ramones fan.

The lyrics are good. It's a mixture of Tommy's work (Blitzkrieg Bop etc) and - RIP - Dee Dee's (I don't wanna walk around with you). If it's songwriting you're after, get "End Of The Century" (1980) instead, but this is by far the better album in terms of it being really what the early Ramones were about. The verses tend to be very similar, and include a lot of punk harmonies (this is not ABBA-style harmony if you haven't heard the Ramones before).

My favourite Ramones album. Whether you prefer this or Sex Pistols is up to you - I strongly recommend you pick up both this and a copy of "Never Mind The Bollocks" for an intro to '70s punk. Most famous song on this album is possibly "Blitzkrieg Bop," but my top three are "I Don't Wanna Go Down To the Basement," "53rd And 3rd" and "Judy Is A Punk." The best thing about it is its sheer rawness, because it epitomises Ramones punk in every way. Maybe its flaw is that it doesnt bring in such a wide audience. If you like punk, buy it now if not sooner, otherwise, think twice. Also, as with all early Ramones, don't buy this if a great solo makes a great song to you. This isn't because the solos are awful. Its because there are no solos. The musicianship is, as with the majority of punk, 'minimal'. But it's brilliant fun, and a must-buy for any Ramones fan. If I lost this album - I don't want to think about it.