...And Out Come The Wolves review by Rancid

• Released: Aug 22, 1995
Rancid: ...And Out Come The Wolves

Rancid's third LP, ...And Out Come the Wolves, was definately a record to remember. The sound quality was amazing (compared to their Operation Ivy stuff, but pretty similar to Let's Go). There are no unwanted noises, you can hear every instrument perfectly, and you can hear Tim's slurred vocals amazingly (If you have the album's lyrics that is). Here's a bit of background info. After Operation Ivy (1987-1989) broke up, Tim Amrstrong and Matt Freeman formed Rancid with a skater punk who had only started playing drums, Brett Reed. They dropped their first LP, Rancid, also known as Rancid (1993), on Epitaph Records. They asked Lars Frederiksen (who had previously played with the U.K. Subs) to join the project. The now four piece released their 2nd album, Let's Go, which spawned 2 radio hits (Salvation and Radio). The album gained attention, which started a bidding war for Rancid with major record labels (Thus the name, ...and Out Come the Wolves). Rancid decided to stay with their indie label, Epitaph, and recorded their third album, which was soon to become a legendary punk rock and ska record. The album, musically, is generally a punk rock record with ska splattered on it. There are a lot of punk rock songs, but also a few ska songs (the most known one being Time Bomb). Rancid definately excels in this department (Ska is a skill Matt and Tim learned to perfect in their Operation Ivy days).

The lyrics, are pure poetry, and, unlike some other records, fit in well into ALL of the songs. They deal with a lot of various topics, even talking about Matt and Tim's days in Operation Ivy (Started in 87, Ended in 89...). The usual vocalists of Rancid are Tim Armstrong and Lars Frederiksen, and I think they perfected their singing skills with this album. Tim has this slurry voice, while Lars has a very powerful and raw voice. They mix in very well together, and they have vocal hooks on almost every song.

This Record, I can honestly say, is the record I've listened to the most in my life. I listened to it so much I had to buy another copy at one point because it didn't work anymore. This album of course relates to other Rancid records, but it is a little bit superior in the ska department then their other albums (except Life Won't Wait). SOME stand-outs (because every song is great on this album), would be: Maxwell Murder: A true punk anthem, and the BEST opening track on ANY album ever. Plus it has an amzing bass solo. Roots Radicals: A truly wonderful song. Time Bomb: An amazing ska song with a great vocal hook for a chorus. Olympia WA: The greatest guitar solo on the record. Junkie man: I can't help myself from bobbing my head while listening to this song Ruby Soho: You can feel it in this song when you hear it. Journey to The End of The East Bay: It contains an amazing bass intro and is very awesome. If I had the money, I'd probably put a GPS tracking device with bombs and a finger print and eye scanner on it, but, I don't, so I'd settle on buying another copy if it were stolen.