...And Out Come The Wolves Review

artist: Rancid date: 09/16/2009 category: compact discs
Rancid: ...And Out Come The Wolves
Released: Oct 1995
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Third Wave Ska Revival, Punk-Pop, Ska-Punk
 Lyrics: 9.4
 9.7
 9.8
 9.6
...And Out Come The Wolves Reviewed by: weevilx214, on may 10, 2004

Sound: First of all the sound quality is great on this cd. Its not scratchy and all the different instruments are at the right volume. Its not like other cds where you might not be able to hear the singing very well. This is basically a punk cd but it has some hints of ska in other songs. Also, the bassist Matt Freeman is really great. From the really fast 95 note twelve second bass solo in track 1 to the really cool intro for track 11, he out does himself. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this cd are great. I have had this cd for about 3 months but ive known most of the words since about a week after i got it. One problem is reading the lyrics in the booklet though. messy messy messy. rancid are the kings of messy lyric booklets. Also the two singers sound great together. // 10

Overall Impression: I have two rancid cds. Indestructile nad... and out come the wolves. This cd is way better than indestructible-not that its not good - and this is probably one of my two favorite cds of all time. This and the clash: London calling. Excellent. // 10

...And Out Come The Wolves Reviewed by: Rancid Ivy, on september 16, 2009

Sound: Rancid's third LP, ...And Out Come the Wolves, was definately a record to remember. The sound quality was amazing (compared to their Operation Ivy stuff, but pretty similar to Let's Go). There are no unwanted noises, you can hear every instrument perfectly, and you can hear Tim's slurred vocals amazingly (If you have the album's lyrics that is). Here's a bit of background info. After Operation Ivy (1987-1989) broke up, Tim Amrstrong and Matt Freeman formed Rancid with a skater punk who had only started playing drums, Brett Reed. They dropped their first LP, Rancid, also known as Rancid (1993), on Epitaph Records. They asked Lars Frederiksen (who had previously played with the U.K. Subs) to join the project. The now four piece released their 2nd album, Let's Go, which spawned 2 radio hits (Salvation and Radio). The album gained attention, which started a bidding war for Rancid with major record labels (Thus the name, ...and Out Come the Wolves). Rancid decided to stay with their indie label, Epitaph, and recorded their third album, which was soon to become a legendary punk rock and ska record. The album, musically, is generally a punk rock record with ska splattered on it. There are a lot of punk rock songs, but also a few ska songs (the most known one being Time Bomb). Rancid definately excels in this department (Ska is a skill Matt and Tim learned to perfect in their Operation Ivy days). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, are pure poetry, and, unlike some other records, fit in well into ALL of the songs. They deal with a lot of various topics, even talking about Matt and Tim's days in Operation Ivy (Started in 87, Ended in 89...). The usual vocalists of Rancid are Tim Armstrong and Lars Frederiksen, and I think they perfected their singing skills with this album. Tim has this slurry voice, while Lars has a very powerful and raw voice. They mix in very well together, and they have vocal hooks on almost every song. // 9

Overall Impression: This Record, I can honestly say, is the record I've listened to the most in my life. I listened to it so much I had to buy another copy at one point because it didn't work anymore. This album of course relates to other Rancid records, but it is a little bit superior in the ska department then their other albums (except Life Won't Wait). SOME stand-outs (because every song is great on this album), would be: Maxwell Murder: A true punk anthem, and the BEST opening track on ANY album ever. Plus it has an amzing bass solo. Roots Radicals: A truly wonderful song. Time Bomb: An amazing ska song with a great vocal hook for a chorus. Olympia WA: The greatest guitar solo on the record. Junkie man: I can't help myself from bobbing my head while listening to this song Ruby Soho: You can feel it in this song when you hear it. Journey to The End of The East Bay: It contains an amazing bass intro and is very awesome. If I had the money, I'd probably put a GPS tracking device with bombs and a finger print and eye scanner on it, but, I don't, so I'd settle on buying another copy if it were stolen. // 10

...And Out Come The Wolves Reviewed by: crawlingfaster, on july 06, 2004

Sound: The sound on this cd is great. Tim and Lars have some great hooks in just about every song. It isn't as raw as past Rancid cds like Lets Go and Rancid '93, but I like it better. Awesome sound quality overall. // 10

Lyrics: Tim always writes great lyrics, and this album is no exception. Most people think tims voice is annoyin but I think I goes perfect with rancids sound. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best Rancid album in my opinion. The best songs are Maxwell Murder, Roots Radicals, Time Bomb, Olympia Wa, listed M.I.A., Ruby Soho, As Wicked, Avenues And Alleyways. If this cd was stolen, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

...And Out Come The Wolves Reviewed by: Publicservices, on may 08, 2004

Sound: I love this album. The harsh vocals along with catchy guitar and insane bass lines give Rancid their unique style. By far it is their best album. The recording is clean and I was amzed by how well it was mixed. I love how they bring together harsh punk with smooth ska, truely genius. // 10

Lyrics: The lyics sound good even when they don't ryme, it must be the way Tim sings it. They talk about people they've met, about growing up in CA, and in Journy to the End of East Bay Tim sings about Op. Ivy. I belive that they couldn't have written more honest songs. Tim's vocal remind me of The Clash's vocalist, I don't know if he sings that way or if that just how his voice is. I also love Lars hard, harsh voice, it adds a nice touch to the music. // 8

Overall Impression: Over all it is an amazing album I recoment buying it if your just getting into Rancid also,it makes a good first impression. If i ever lost it I would diffently buy it again. // 10

...And Out Come The Wolves Reviewed by: wollie, on december 14, 2005

Sound: The music is a mix of punk, rock, ska and reggae. It is the most radio-friendly album Rancid had made, but not in a poppy way. The production is very good. It is a must have for everybody who listens to punkrock, and everyone who plays bass. Matt Freeman is a bass-hero. The other instruments are also very well played. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics match very good with the music. Tim & Lars have typical, raw voices. You love them or hate them (I love them). The lyrics of most songs are little stories. // 8

Overall Impression: It is very hard to say what song is the best. Daily City Train, The Way I Feel, Roots Raddicals, Olympia WA, they are all pure diamonds. All the tracks are completely various, so the album never gets boring. I own it for a couple of years, and still once in amonth I listen to it. It is the best Rancid album, and one of the best punk rock albums all time. A must hear/buy for everyone who's into punk rock, an everyone who plays bass. // 10

...And Out Come The Wolves Reviewed by: rancid_punkie39, on july 03, 2006

Sound: The sound on this cd is great, unlike their old stuff by Operation Ivy and such, you can hear very clearly what their singing and what their singing about. Sometimes the distortion is up to high but other then that everythings fine, this cd is basically Punk tinged with ska. Listen to Matt "McCall" Freeman's bass solo and you'll know why he was voted best punk basist of the year This is definetly one of their best. Congrats Tim. // 9

Lyrics: I was so moved by what they were sinnging about in this album I often got shivvers down my spine. Tims slurred vocals and Lars' awesome voice, combine together and the sound has never been better. I loved " Journey To The End Of The East Bay" the entire song being dedicated to memory of Operation Ivy, with lyrics such as "started in 87 ended in 89 got a garage or an amp we'll play anytime" etc. // 10

Overall Impression: Lets start by saying if someone stole this cd off me I would track them down and get it back. Rancid are one of the only punk bands that have stayed true even though punks not as "popular" as it used to be. Highlights of the album include Maxwell Murder, The 11th Hour, Roots Radical, Time Bomb, Ruby Soho, The Way I Feel. If you like Rancid, Punk, Ska or anything like that you will buy this CD (and don't download it 'cause the album cover is awesome). // 10

...And Out Come The Wolves Reviewed by: Kenney333, on march 31, 2004

Sound: The sound on the recording is clean without being over produced. The Album range from strait punk rawk to swinging ska to uplifting oi. Rancid manages to fuse these styles into their own unique sound. The guitar rifts are mainly solid power chord and ska chord compinations but with enough easy on the ears solos to keep you musically fulfilled. The base lines however are a bass players dream, Matt Freedmand (bass) drives the songs with difficult but very enjoyable playing complete with several solos. The music flows so smoothly and powerfully you can feel the passion that band has for what they play. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics all flow perfectly with the music and capture the bands feelings of growing up and living in california as well as touring and other life experiences. Insightful, honest, passionate as well as entertaining the lyrics are both strait forward and unniversally appealing. Don't expect any Celieve Dion vocal quality though, both singers sport harsh voices and accents. // 10

Overall Impression: More evolved than ealier albums such as the harsh angry style of Rancid's first self-titled album, but refined in sound never in passion and feeling. And out come the wolves encompasses all aspects of Rancids music and is the best representation of their music as a whole. All the songs work together perfectly yet range so much as to never get repeditive, an impressive feat from an album with a total of 19 songs on it. You can listen again and again and never be bored and always be inspired and entertained by this album. I have bought it again when it was broken once. // 10

...And Out Come The Wolves Reviewed by: bigredandre, on april 17, 2006

Sound: Rancid has been around for a few years, so they know what punk is. Grinding through chords, alchohol abuse, and some of the best music around, Rancid can only be enjoyed by people with taste. Through the slow decline of punk, Rancid opens it up again to many who have looked long and hard for good music. Rancid is one of the best in the punk revolution. // 10

Lyrics: Even though Tim Armstrong's voice is a bit raspy, it is easy to understand and adds more meaning to the songs. Lars Frederiksen sings in a clear voice which only complements the band. Along with the occasional vocals of Matt Freeman, the bassist, all three vocalists pull together to make a great song, well, a great CD. Rancid brings good meaning to their songs and not just random words used to rhyme. // 10

Overall Impression: Completely different from other bands, it is my favorite band. It has songs that get stuck in your head, and yet you have no intention to get it out. Probably Ruby Soho, Roots Radicals, Daly City Train, and Journey to the End of the East Bay (great bass intro) are the best songs from this album if I had to pick favorites, but there are no songs I dislike. There is nothing I would change. I have had this CD for almost a year now, and I still listen to it almost every day. I have it saved on my computer and I have an extra copy in case it was stolen or lost. This is an excellent CD and I am glad to have it. // 10

Comments